Tuesday, December 1, 2015

A History of Glitter and Blood by Hannah Moskowitz Quickie Book Review

BLURB

Sixteen-year-old Beckan and her friends are the only fairies brave enough to stay in Ferrum when war breaks out. Now there is tension between the immortal fairies, the subterranean gnomes, and the mysterious tightropers who arrived to liberate the fairies.


But when Beckan's clan is forced to venture into the gnome underworld to survive, they find themselves tentatively forming unlikely friendships and making sacrifices they couldn't have imagined. As danger mounts, Beckan finds herself caught between her loyalty to her friends, her desire for peace, and a love she never expected. 



This stunning, lyrical fantasy is a powerful exploration of what makes a family, what justifies a war, and what it means to truly love.


REVIEW
This book was weird with a capital W. Fairies, gnomes--that eat them (fairies), and tight ropers that spit rope from their mouths--like spiderman has webs that shoot from his wrists. This book was strange. I initially thought all the crazy wacky weirdness would make DNF this but I dug it. So, maybe I'm weird. Maybe I'm attracted to weirdness. I don't know but I liked this book. 

Let me just speak briefly about what the book is actually about--I don't really know. Lol. It is pretty much a history of glitter (fairies) and blood (war). But I'm not sure what exactly we're suppose to take from the book. I don't think there's a real point. But it is a book about love, and friendships. and families. 

The characters are odd, one's missing an arm, one is emotionally devastated and doesn't really like to leave his room--the other is a girl who carries her father around in a jar.

They were so odd and I loved them. They were really entertaining and I had an odd connection to the characters.  I want to get into it but I have to be honest guys--my brain is tired. So let's just say if you're into the weird stuff and fairies this book is for you. If you don't like weird characters, or weird illustrations--don't bother, it won't be for you.

Aren't I the best reviewer ever? Lol. 

10 comments:

  1. Okay this does sound strange but not necessarily in a bad way, just weird lol! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, it is very weird but I liked it. I guess I'm weird too!

      Delete
  2. I had a time with this one as well! I love Hannah's books, but this one wasn't the best read for me. Still, by the end I was satisfied, and a little duped to be honest. It's definitely a weird read, and I think the writing style didn't really work for the first half of the book. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely sounds like a weird read. I've read some mixed reviews about this one so I'll probably pass. Too many books to read! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cover is gorgeous. Like when you go to Barnes & Noble and look at the shelves, you notice this one first because it's like glittering. I really wanted to pick up this book because of the cover, but definitely not that much anymore. And I can see it's giving you such a hard time with explaining what the book is about. I don't like weird books lmfao!

    Alex :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! The cover is so shiny. I loved it. The story is weird and would take a certain kind of person to enjoy!

      Delete
  5. I am into odd characters, but this one didn't do anything for me. I am glad that you liked it better than I did though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It definitely sounds weird but also intriguing. I dig that it is about fairies but sounds like a lot going on. Must have been a hard one to review!!

    ReplyDelete