Monday, November 16, 2015

The Revenge Playbook by Rachel Allen

23287156
BLURB
Don’t get mad, get even!

In this poignant and hilarious novel, Rachael Allen brilliantly explores the nuances of high school hierarchies, the traumas sustained on the path to finding true love, and the joy of discovering a friend where you least expect.

In the small town of Ranburne, high school football rules and the players are treated like kings. How they treat the girls they go to school with? That’s a completely different story. Liv, Peyton, Melanie Jane, and Ana each have their own reason for wanting to teach the team a lesson—but it’s only when circumstances bring them together that they come up with the plan to steal the one thing the boys hold sacred. All they have to do is beat them at their own game.
 

REVIEW
THREE OUT OF FIVE STARS
*A special thanks to the publisher for this review copy---that I took entirely too long to read.*

I can't stand when I've read a book and I'm stuck on what to say about it, not because it was so amazing but because I don't have a strong feeling one way or the other. I don't know about any of you but it's a struggle to write a review for a book like this, one that you didn't necessarily hate but one that you didn't exactly love. It's like ugh, what to say. 

Anyway enough of that let me try to review this book.  Try.

The Revenge Playbook--why I chose it...I chose this book because of the word revenge. I might sound like a deviant but I love books, shows, movies about revenge. I like the idea of people getting what they deserve especially when they deserve it. Of course, revenge is not always and probably should never be the answer but it's fun to read about anyway. For the most part.

The Revenge Playbook was a fun sort of book, but as far as the revenge is concerned it felt a little lackluster. Quite frankly, it didn't feel like revenge. I felt like the payback wasn't enough but maybe I'm just being picky about it. These are young teenage girls, what could I expect? What did I expect?

The characters: They were all pretty cool. I don't have any real gripes about any of them. They didn't stand out to me one way or the other. The male characters did more so, Trevor--you guys will like him.

All in all it was a pretty fun read, I just don't feel too much for it. I'm stuck solidly in the middle on this one. It's great to read if you like the whole sports worshiping town kind of thing--not too heavy on the romance. 

It has its funny moments, and it had a few swoon worthy moments, though far and few between. It's a decent contemporary--one that I'd recommend to those that like their books this way--some heavy topics, quirky dares, light romance, and a tied up resolution.

5 comments:

  1. Sorry this was lacking in the revenge department but glad that it was a fun read still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an ok book but would probably pass on it - I want more romance from books like this. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the worst, isn't it? When you can't pin point your feelings towards a book one way or another. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been feeling this way about a lot of book, especially lately. It's so difficult not having any solid feelings to go off of when reviewing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, you're right, sometimes it's so hard to review a book you just like. If you hate it, pretty easy. If you love it, you can fangirl and flail around. Just a good solid read…yeah, tough. Glad you liked it! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete