Wednesday, November 4, 2015

It's About Love by Steven Camden Book Review



BLURB
Real life is messier than the movies. A bold, thought-provoking novel from the exceptionally talented, Steven Camden.


He's Luke. She's Leia.

Just like in Star Wars. Just like they’re made for each other. Same film studies course, different backgrounds, different ends of town.

Only this isn't a film. This is real life. This is where monsters from the past come back to take revenge. This is where you are sometimes the monster.

But real life? Sometimes, only sometimes, it turns out just like in the movies…

… maybe. 

REVIEW
* A special thanks to the publisher for this review copy*

I've said this time and time again but there is something some raw and real about novels from the UK, or written about the UK. It's just something in them, this grittiness--that says I don't care what is appropriate or normal to you. I'll write what I want. I'll write my reality and I don't care if you can't put it into a mold. 

It's About Love pretty much does that. It's not  overly romantic even though it is about love. It's not overly anything. It's just this story that you read and you either like it or you don't--you either connect with it or you don't. I don't feel like there's room for in between with this novel.

This novel tells the story of Luke and Leia. Luke is a kid in college, first in his family I believe. He loves film, and is taking up film classes where he meets Leia. Who not only matches his name through a shared parental love of Star Wars--but they connect on levels he's never imagined. He's not the kind of kid that's looking for love, it just kind of finds him. It consumes him but not in an overly dramatic, or sweet way. It just kind of works. But of course, nothing is simple about any of it. 

The charaters: Luke is interesting. He's not overly emotional although he has a lot of emotions pent up inside of him. He's big and burly but boyish from inside out. He's kind of complex without trying.

His friends are what you'd imagine, total opposites, but loyal.

Leia, I don't feel like there's much to say about her. You meet her, and you learn about her but not much. She's kind of this mystery but not. If that makes sense. You get to learn a bit about her but not very much where you feel like you know all about her.

Marc, Luke's brother. He was a very intriguing character, his presence was so strong on Luke--but I won't say much else about him. It feels sort of spoiler-y to go into his background.

Luke's parents, I could literally see them in my mind's eye. I feel like I know exactly how they look and how they act. I liked them. I liked their part, albeit small, in the story.

The plot: I'm not entirely sure what the point was but I feel like I got it. I'm not sure where were supposed to reach some predestined conclusion. I think it was just about love and how it affects your life, whether it be romantically or not. I think if that was the point, then it was made. 

Overall, I enjoyed the book. It's not a book you should expect to blow you away or have you flying through the pages. It's one you read slowly like watching a film. Like I said, you either love it or you hate it. It's that simple. I was lucky enough to love it more than hate it. 

I'd recommend it for contemporary lovers who don't have a problem with a lighter romantic story line, and a heavier reality one--one more focused on the characters life, and not who they're hooking up with. 

I for one am a huge romance, kisses and hugs lover--but I found that the lack of it here didn't bother me. 

12 comments:

  1. I think this sounds cute. I am ok with he focus being less on the romance and more on the characters story. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about books set in the UK or that are written by an author there, I tend to gravitate toward them and enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly how I feel about contemporary fiction written by Australian authors. They're candid, refreshing and like you said, raw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm…not sure if I should read this one or not. I usually do enjoy books from the UK, you're right, they do have that grittiness to them. ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nothing to go too crazy over but I did really like it!

      Delete
  5. Not sure this one is for me. I like books from the UK, but this one isn't for me. I'm glad you enjoyed it though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds a little bit like my feels for Finding Mr. Brightside. I'll have to remember to pick this up when I'm in the mood for gritty contemporary romance :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the idea of this book!! It sounds like a book about college that isn't the typical New Adult grossness that I've been seeing over and over again. I've been looking for something like that for ages!! Also I really wanted to read this author's last book, Tape, but never got around to it. This one sounds even better than that one though!!! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle. Yeah I want to check out Tape too. Maybe it's good too. Hope you read and like this one.

      Delete