Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Before We Were Strangers by Renee Carlino Book Review

23309634
BLURB
From the USA TODAY bestselling author of Sweet Thing and Nowhere But Here comes a love story about a Craigslist “missed connection” post that gives two people a second chance at love fifteen years after they were separated in New York City.

To the Green-eyed Lovebird:

We met fifteen years ago, almost to the day, when I moved my stuff into the NYU dorm room next to yours at Senior House.

You called us fast friends. I like to think it was more.

We lived on nothing but the excitement of finding ourselves through music (you were obsessed with Jeff Buckley), photography (I couldn’t stop taking pictures of you), hanging out in Washington Square Park, and all the weird things we did to make money. I learned more about myself that year than any other.

Yet, somehow, it all fell apart. We lost touch the summer after graduation when I went to South America to work for National Geographic. When I came back, you were gone. A part of me still wonders if I pushed you too hard after the wedding…

I didn’t see you again until a month ago. It was a Wednesday. You were rocking back on your heels, balancing on that thick yellow line that runs along the subway platform, waiting for the F train. I didn’t know it was you until it was too late, and then you were gone. Again. You said my name; I saw it on your lips. I tried to will the train to stop, just so I could say hello.

After seeing you, all of the youthful feelings and memories came flooding back to me, and now I’ve spent the better part of a month wondering what your life is like. I might be totally out of my mind, but would you like to get a drink with me and catch up on the last decade and a half?

REVIEW
FIVE OUT OF FIVE STARS


My heart is just so full right now. I need to take a moment to let my heart absorb the feels that is Before We Were Strangers. 

Guys, this book is just


This book is love. I've always been a believer in serendipity, fate, and God's timing. I believe that things happen the way they are supposed to happen at the moment in time they're supposed to happen. That is what Before We Were Strangers is--it is the idea that time, space, life--and everything cannot come in between fate, and love.

The story starts off fifteen years after they've met. They were once young and in love, and life although difficult at the time seemed to be moving at the right pace--and in the right way--and then life. Life weasels it's way in between bringing in insecurities, and miscommunication, and all the other crap it brings. 

The story is in two parts, the before and the after--and both parts were just as good as the other. There was never any confusion about time jumps--or who is who--because it was done so effortlessly. Carlino knew what she was doing. 

I'm sure you guys have heard about how amazing this book is,or wasn't--so I won't go on for too long about how much I loved it . I'll just highly recommend it because it's worth experiencing. It's such an amazing depiction of love--real love. Everything wasn't always easy. It wasn't always rainbows and unicorns--and it made it that more easy to relate to. I want to experience the kind of love that feels like it's so big that it will overflow out of you--and leak onto everyone else around you. It's the kind of love we search for, and Matt and Grace found that. 

How can you say no to that? You can't. So, read the book.


11 comments:

  1. This so sounds like my kind of read, I need to go pick up a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorites this year. I LOVED everything about it. Glad you loved it too!! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard of this before reading your review and now I know that I absolutely need to read this one! Now at the top of my TBR list :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one is *so* high on my TBR. It seems like one I am going to LOVE and I hope to get to it by the end of the year. Enjoyed your review!

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVED THIS BOOK SO MUCH. Glad to hear that you did too! I smiled, I teared up, it was definitely an emotional read for me. There's just something about second chance love stories… ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to read this one - I appreciate that things aren't always easy for the couple!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete