Friday, October 23, 2015

This Week's Fails: Rival by Penelope Douglas

20893564
First the blurb:
 From the New Adult sensation and New York Times bestselling author of Until You


Madoc and Fallon. Two estranged teenagers playing games that push the boundaries between love and war…



She’s back.



For the two years she’s been away at boarding school, there was no word from her. Back when we lived in the same house, she used to cut me down during the day and then leave her door open for me at night.



I was stupid then, but now I’m ready to beat her at her own game…



I’m back.


Two years and I can tell he still wants me, even if he acts like he’s better than me.


But I won’t be scared away. Or pushed down. I’ll call his bluff and fight back. That’s what he wants, right? As long as I keep my guard up, he’ll never know how much he affects me….

The Fail:
In this week's fails, aka the books I've DNF'D this week, we have Rival by Penelope Douglas. Now, I did read Bully by this author, which I enjoyed, immensely, but this one--just, no. 

It has the same stepbrother, stepsister romance scenario but right off the bat--we are met with combative characters--with this secret lingering past--that's not really discussed but assumptions can be made about what happened between our two MC's.

But they both left me with such a sour taste in my mouth and I only made it to about 50 pages. The girl--Fallon: She was supposed to be this tough bad ass, but in my opinion, she was just rude. She was combative, and nasty--and way too frisky, for what seemed like, no reason--none that I allowed to be explained--because I just couldn't do it anymore.

The guy--Madoc: What does Fallon see in him?  He's not kind. I felt nothing for him, and I didn't like the way he dealt with the Fallon. He was far too cocky and a little bit rough. Just, ugh.

Now we know they hate each other pretty much right off the bat, even after the two year time jump--which we're greeted with pretty early on. Then they have this tumultuous sex that I was both expecting and not expecting. It was just too fast. I felt like there was time for a lot more buildup. Way more time. Especially considering their disdain for one another. I just, no.

This book although I had high hopes for it will gladly be making it's way back to my local library to be picked up by someone who will appreciate and love it, but that person is not me.

11 comments:

  1. Sometimes authors just can't see the line between a badass heroine and an asshole heroine. Sounds like that's what happened to Fallon! Sorry to here this book just didn't do it for you, Jazmen. I doubt it would have worked for me, either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't handle it when characters are just plain unlikable. Why do I want to read that?

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yikes! I don't like these two based on your review. A guy that's not nice and a girl that's rude and nasty? I don't know about this one. Sorry you didn't enjoy it, but your feelings are understandable. Thanks for the honest feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like we can instantly connect we can also instantly dislike. I'm sorry this was one of those for you but it does happen. ;)
    Hope your next read is a better one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boo! That always sucks when you dislike a book. I guess every author has to have that one bad novel. Thanks for sharing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I read this a little while ago - I remember liking the first one way more. Sorry you didn' enjoy it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, Jazmen, noooooooooo! I love this series. It was cool how the author made things seem one way in the beginning, and the the full story unfolds as it goes. You've ruined my night.

    Kidding. It does make me sad you didn't like it, but ... -sigh- I guess it's okay. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't understand why a kick ass heroine has to be rude and that happens often in a book. A strong heroine can be strong without being rude and bitchy!
    Anyways, I hope you soon read something great and amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did not enjoy Bully. I think it was okay. Honestly? the close relations does not give me the heebie geebies. It's just...I think it's more the execution of the story arch wasn't done well. I don't know about this one, tbh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read this one after reading Bully, as well! I honestly just felt kinda meh about them both if I remember correctly. I finished them but I can definitely see why someone might DNF this one! I completely agree about the characters - they rubbed me the wrong way, too

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry this one didn't work out. Have you read Kody Klepinger's A Midsummer's Nightmare? One of my favorites involving stepbrother and stepsister relationship. ~Pam

    ReplyDelete