Friday, September 11, 2015

The Improbable Theory of Ana and Zak by Brian Katcher--Long Live The Geeks

Blurb
The Improbable Theory of Ana and Zak is Stonewall Book Award-winning author Brian Katcher’s hilarious he said/she said romance about two teens recovering from heartbreak and discovering themselves on an out-of-this-world accidental first date.

It all begins when Ana Watson's little brother, Clayton, secretly ditches the quiz bowl semifinals to go to the Washingcon sci-fi convention on what should have been a normal, résumé-building school trip.

If slacker Zak Duquette hadn't talked up the geek fan fest so much, maybe Clayton wouldn't have broken nearly every school rule or jeopardized Ana’s last shot at freedom from her uptight parents.

Now, teaming up with Duquette is the only way for Ana to chase down Clayton in the sea of orcs, zombies, bikini-clad princesses, Trekkies, and Smurfs. After all, one does not simply walk into Washingcon.


But in spite of Zak's devil-may-care attitude, he has his own reasons for being as lost as Ana-and Ana may have more in common with him than she thinks. Ana and Zak certainly don’t expect the long crazy night, which begins as a nerdfighter manhunt, to transform into so much more…

Review
Four out of Five Stars
A special thanks to the publisher for this review copy!

Adorkable. This book was totes adorable. I didn't read the synopsis but it was a the cutest thing. I laughed a bit, and by a bit I mean a lot. How can a bunch of teens get into such mischief at a comic con? I don't know but it was pretty funny.

Let's talk about the characters a bit, shall we?
Ana: the bane of this book. Why? Because she just never seemed to stop being a total witch. Like for the entire book. Going through the reviews a lot of people had an issue with Ana. She wasn't nice. She was pretty judgemental and she had a literal stick up her butt. I'm serious. Check. It's there. But, she didn't annoy me the entire time. Maybe because I spent so much time laughing at Zak, maybe it was easy to ignore her frigid attitude.

It was hard at times to ignore her but she didn't ruin the story for me. She helped guide it.

Zak: I want to date a geek like Zak. He is oddly and inappropriately confident. He has weird hair, and an unhealthy obsession with disliking his stepfather. But he made me laugh. He was this book. I loved how easily he fell into everything with barely a nic, and hardly am attitude change. Loved him.

The stepfather. The reason I'm mentioning him is because I actually wish he had a larger part in the story because he's so darn amusing. His presence at the end was golden.

Ana has the typical overbearing parent unit. They get in the way, obsess and hover. Blah blah.

But I just really enjoyed this book as whole. I was able to ignore any flaws and really enjoy this one. I highly recommend for all the sci-fi, comic book, trading card geeks. Even the closeted geeks. Pick up this one and enjoy. May the force be with you and all that.

19 comments:

  1. Adorkable! I love it and this sounds like my kind of read. ;) Great review! I hope you have an amazing weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read this book! I heard some not great things about it but I am totally a sic-fi/comic book geek (not so much trading card lol). I will definitely need to get my hands on it - thanks! :)

    www.novelsandnecklaces.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really cute. I love books where the main characters are nerdy types, especially if there are is romance involved. Great review.
    Cassi @ My Thoughts Literally

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorkable!! Love this! Zak sounds like my kind of character and I love a book that can be laugh - Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw. I need to read my copy, stat! I love me some geeks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one is on my TBR list but I need to move it up because I do love adorable (and adorakable). Great review, glad you enjoyed it! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha I could use an adorkable book right about now! Definitely going on my TBR - great review!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book sounds unbelievably (as you said) ADORKABLE. And although this book has been on my radar for quite some time, I haven't REALLY had the desire to pick it up. That is, until now! Your review totally convinced me to give this book a try. I mean, come on. How can I not? Zak sounds pretty darn wonderful.

    Julia Anne @ Peach Print

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aaaah sounds so darn awesome! I'm so in the mood for a funny read so I guess now which book I should get. Thanks so much for the wonderful review, it made me grin wide! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorkable! Haha! That's too cute. Definitely intrigued about this one :)

    ReplyDelete