Friday, September 4, 2015

Red Queen (Red Queen, #1) by Victoria Aveyard

22369406
BLURB
A thrilling new fantasy trilogy for fans of DIVERGENT and THE HUNGER GAMES.

This is a world divided by blood – red or silver.

The poverty-stricken Reds are commoners, living in the shadow of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers.

To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from the Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.

Then Mare finds herself working at the Silver palace, in the midst of those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.

REVIEW
4 OUT OF FIVE STARS
*A SPECIAL THANKS TO THE PUBLISHER FOR THIS REVIEW COPY*

Not quite the drag some of my book bloggy friends have made RQ out to be. To be quite frank, I enjoyed it. Sure it's not the most thrilling action-packed book, but I think that's the point. Like many others, when you think of fantasy, you think of intrigue, romance, action, etc. But this book is filled with heart.

The story is a simple one--a society divided by blood and class. I thought it wasn't necessarily a new idea, but a unique take on an old one.

To be divided by blood, class, and job is medieval yeah, but kind of realistic even today. So there's that. The MC was interesting but it wasn't her so much that kept me reading. Weird, I know. But it was something about the story as a whole that I enjoyed.

I liked the world--as messed up as it was. I was into that and the guys. (Insert eyebrow waggling here.) I felt stronger for them, for their story. 

Kilorn was a favorite although I didn't see much of him.(Maybe in book two, I'll see more) Maven was a favorite for a while,. But Cal, handsome kingly Cal was the one I had my eye on. He just seemed different and I liked that.

I won't dwell too much on the characters but the guys stole the book, at least for me.

There is a sort of, and I mean sort of love square but, instead of dreading it, it made me curious. It left me wondering in a good way.

There is kind of a lot of info but I feel like it helps the book. It's not like info-dumping. It's more so, the author explaining the world so you better understand it.

I think what many have found lacking will be strengthened in book two. There was room left for that.

Not to mention that ending. The ending was what sold me. I, in all my Sherlock wanna-be-ness thought I had it all pegged. I was wrong and it left me primed and ready to go for book two.

It's one of those love or hate reads--not a lot of room for in between but I'm happy to say I leaned more towards the former. I really enjoyed this one and I'm ready for the journey in book two.

32 comments:

  1. Oh I'm glad you liked this one! I liked all the guys too but I enjoyed Mare as well. Now we just have to wait for book 2! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as I'd like to read this I'm not ready to commit to a series.
    Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people shy away from series, so I get it. :)

      Delete
  3. I loved the idea of this book and read it when it first came out. I'm so excited for the second one and I'm so ready! Although it's definitely not my MOST excited release of 2016.

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Not like gonna kill myself or anything but I'd like to read it!

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you liked this book, I loooved it and I really can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phew! So glad you enjoyed this one, Jazmen! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you liked it! I can't wait for the next book, hopefully it'll be equally as good or better!

    ~Erika @ Books, Stars, Writing. And Everything In Between.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this and I can't wait for book two! So happy you liked it as well! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review!
    Definitely wasn't a big fan of RQ but I'm eagerly anticipating Glass Sword. Can't wait to see where the story goes!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad that you liked this book! I really enjoyed it also! It wasn't the best book that I ever read, but it certainly wasn't the worst!
    Kristen @ One Chapter Ahead

    ReplyDelete
  10. Unfortunately, I wasn't a fan at all of this one, I felt it was a mashup of a bunch of different novels. However - I hope it will get more original as the story goes on! Great review, I really liked the world it was in as well! :)

    www.novelsandnecklaces.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am glad you liked this book. I am not sure why I have heard so many negative things about it. I really want to get to reading it soon because it sounds very interesting and I have been wanting to read it for a long time now. It is good hearing your thoughts on it.
    ~Chioma @ Blue Books and Butterflies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I mean I wouldn't kill myself to get to it. But, it wasn't as bad as some people have made it out to be. At least not to me.

      Delete
  12. Unfortunately, I wasn't a fan of this book. Just like what novels and necklaces said, I also thought it was a mashup of different YA fantasy novels and I didn't really care for Mare that much. But glad you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. After going to several mixed reviews on this one, I found myself setting it aside.. its premise immediately reminded me of Red Rising but the execution is, of course, different. Nice to know that you enjoyed this :) I hope I'll get the motivation to read this soon.

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, and I hope even more that you actually like it!

      Delete
  14. I'm glad you liked it! RQ is one of my favs this year. Of course the book has similarities and parallels to a lot others but I have never cared about that because in essence all books are "the same" anyway glad you enjoyed it. Now wait for Glass Sword!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. It is really hard to come up with an idea that's never been done, and that extends beyond books!

      Delete
  15. I'm glad you ended up enjoying this! I have read some mixed reviews here and there, but now I'm excited to read it now! It's been on my shelf for so long, just because I keep putting it off...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I was probably one of those who didn't. Oh well. It is, what it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoyed this one too - was it the BEST fantasy I've ever read? No, but still a very enjoyable read!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  18. My sister seemed to love it a lot and I'm glad you did so too! I've managed to stay away from spoilers so I still don't have any idea what it's REALLY about. I can't wait to read it one of these days! :D

    ReplyDelete