Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Made For You by Melissa Marr Book Review

BLURB

Bestselling author of the Wicked Lovely books Melissa Marr’s first contemporary YA novel is a twisted southern gothic tale of obsession, romance, and murder. A killer is obsessed with Eva Tilling. Can she stop him, or will he claim her?

When Eva Tilling wakes up in the hospital, she’s confused—who in her sleepy little North Carolina town could have hit her with their car? And why? But before she can consider the question, she finds that she’s awoken with a strange new skill: the ability to foresee people’s deaths when they touch her. While she is recovering from the hit-and-run, Nate, an old flame, reappears, and the two must traverse their rocky past as they figure out how to use Eva’s power to keep her friends—and themselves—alive. But while Eva and Nate grow closer, the killer grows increasingly frantic in his attempt to get to Eva.

For the first time, New York Times bestselling author Melissa Marr has applied her extraordinary talent to contemporary realism. Chilling twists, unrequited obsession, and high-stakes romance drive this Gothic, racy thriller—a story of small-town oppression and salvation. Melissa’s fans, and every YA reader, will find its wild ride enthralling.


REVIEW
I might have been expecting a bit too much going into this one, and I shouldn't have. Like I've said a million times before YA mystery/thriller is a disappointing genre. I think everyone wants to be the next Sara Shepard. I would rather they just be themselves, and write a mystery/thriller that is possibly comparable but better.

Marr did a decent job of keeping me intrigued for about 70% but once I discovered who the killer was, I was done. Sorry not sorry. It just wasn't shocking enough. It was kind of like, "Oh. That's who it is."

Don't get me wrong the book had some things going for it for a while but I can't say that I was feeling it all that much. Why? I didn't connect with any of the characters. Like, none of them. And don't even get me started on the so-called romance. There was nothing romantic about it--which of course was a huge disappointment, to put it mildly. 

I read the book and I was dying to know who the killer was, and that's why I kept reading. I had a feeling early on I wouldn't be giving this one more than three stars, and by the end I was right. To put it bluntly, a lot of these characters are spoiled popular kids. They're the kind that are uber cool because of their parent's status, and money. They're spoiled, and will probably dismiss anyone outside of their inner circle--which they did. 

There was no particular part of this book that I was blown away by or shocked by. Marr tried, I'll give her that--maybe if the discovery of the killer was more shocker it would have worked better. I'm not sure. But I read the book through to completion so I feel like I did all I'm supposed to do. 


I wasn't happy with the reveal, or the romance, and that pretty much ruined any chances of excitement I may have had. I'm not discouraging anyone from reading this, but read it at your own risk--because sadly it wasn't that impressive. 

14 comments:

  1. I hate it when our expectations are a bit too high but even so, I'm glad you still enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should probably stop getting my hopes up. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I've liked Marr's adult suspense/thriller in the past. It's disappointing when that talent doesn't transpose in YA, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried one of her other books. I think I just don't like her writing.

      Delete
  3. I've been seeing this a lot and I've been thinking about getting it. Thanks for your review, now I have decided. It's such a disappointment when a book doesn't shock you (especially when it's a mystery).. and the characters, sounds like I'll just be annoyed.. Great review Jazmen :)

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find myself getting over excited also when I read an interesting plot than disappointed when the execution didn't live up to my expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's the worst when the reveal isn't great and then you don't even care about the rest of the book. Sorry this one wasn't better!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think mystery is the genre that is a tougher sell to me, especially when it comes to YA. They're so easy to figure out, so it puts a lot on the rest (characters, writing, etc) to make me love it. This looks interesting, though. Maybe if I pick it up without too much expectations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YA Mystery is a tough sell for me but I keep picking it up. I think I'm just hopeful.

      Delete
  7. That's frustrating when you get to the end of a mystery and you just aren't at all wowed by the conclusion. I read a really good YA mystery recently - The Foxglove Killings. That book had me guessing throughout!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read this one, I remember liking it but not loving it, but to be honest, I don't remember anything about this book. Sorry this one wasn't impressive! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete