Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Killer Instinct by S.E. Green

Blurb

A teen girl version of Dexter meets the high stakes danger and mystery of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo in this “dark and disturbing--high stakes thriller..." (#1 New York Times bestselling author, Kami Garcia)


Lane is a typical teenager. Loving family. Good grades. After-school job at the local animal hospital. Martial arts enthusiast. But her secret obsession is studying serial killers. She understands them, knows what makes them tick.

Why?

Because she might be one herself.

Lane channels her dark impulses by hunting criminals and delivering justice when the law fails. The vigilantism stops shy of murder, but with each visceral rush, the line of self-control blurs. And when a young preschool teacher goes missing—and returns in pieces—Lane gets a little too excited about tracking down “the Decapitator,” the vicious serial murderer who has come to her hometown.

As she gets dangerously caught up in a web of lies about her own past, Lane realizes she is no longer invisible or safe. Especially after the Decapitator contacts her directly. Now she needs to use her unique talents to find the true killer’s identity before she—or someone she loves—becomes the next victim… 


Review
Three out of Five Stars
The dexter tid bit at the beginning of 
this book's blurb is right on the money. Comparing the intrigue to The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is overzealous, and wrong. Stop it publishers. Stop it.

Anyway, Killer Instinct was a decently written mystery that did manage to somewhat shock me. It was nothing to tweet or rant about, but the reveal was a surprise.

The characters. Now if you read that blurb you know the MC, Lane, is a normal teen girl. She has a job, decent grades, a decent family, and a disturbing obsession with serial killers. She takes her obsession and becomes her town's criminal catching vigilante.

I got that. And despite how eery it all sounds, Lane was inherently more good than bad--so it made for an interesting internal good, versus evil battle. Inside Lane, I mean.

I honestly thought it would be slightly more gory, just a bit. I thought Lane would be this psycho teen exacting revenge on behalf of the weak, and righting wrongs.

She was but I think I expected more. Even if YA in this subgenre continues to disappoint me. This one was disappointing just not thrilling.

It was decent, the big reveal was well done but I won't be killing myself to get to book two, if you know what I mean?

Great for Dexter fans looking for a tamer version of their favorite. 

9 comments:

  1. Glad the reveal was a surprise if nothing else.

    I really do wish they would stop comparing books and authors. More often than not it ends up being false or a complete disappointment when you are expecting something completely different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wanted more. But Maybe I'll read the next one. Maybe.

      Delete
  2. Serial Killers!! Oops you are brave to read something like this. Don't you get nightmares? :P

    Any ways your review - bang on! good as usual :)
    But the story does not look that exciting...so I would pass..:|

    ReplyDelete
  3. Publishers selling their books through comparisons is just wrong. really wrong. I've read a positive review on this. It's nice to read your thoughts on this one, a different perspective. I'd still love to think about this one before getting it :)

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sigh. I wanted to like this one, but the apathetic character just didn't inspire empathy, yanno?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sucks! But I'm still appreciating the honest review :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Dexter, so I've been thinking about reading this for a while now. I like your review... I definitely think it sounds like something I'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The book comparisons need to stop!! My favorite is when everything is like Gone Girl - it's never like Gone Girl. Anyways sorry this one didn't thrill too much but at least the reveal was a surprise - Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dang girl well that's a shame you couldn't enjoy this own too much. I'm just like you in that I need a THRILL. A reason to keep reading and if I can't get it...well I DNF, you know? I hope you decide to pick up the next book anyway. You may just be in for a surprise. ;)

    ReplyDelete