Monday, September 14, 2015

Geek Girl by Holly Smale--Another Win For the Geeks


BLURB
Harriet Manners knows a lot of things. 

She knows that a cat has 32 muscles in each ear, a "jiffy" lasts 1/100th of a second, and the average person laughs 15 times per day. What she isn't quite so sure about is why nobody at school seems to like her very much. So when she's spotted by a top model agent, Harriet grabs the chance to reinvent herself. Even if it means stealing her Best Friend's dream, incurring the wrath of her arch enemy Alexa, and repeatedly humiliating herself in front of the impossibly handsome supermodel Nick. Even if it means lying to the people she loves. 

As Harriet veers from one couture disaster to the next with the help of her overly enthusiastic father and her uber-geeky stalker, Toby, she begins to realise that the world of fashion doesn't seem to like her any more than the real world did. 

And as her old life starts to fall apart, the question is: will Harriet be able to transform herself before she ruins everything?
REVIEW
*A special thanks to the publisher for this review copy, which I took entirely too long to review*

Hilarious. That is the word of the day, and it's also the word I'd use to describe Geek Girl. Geek Girl kept me laughing for the entirety of the book, and that's no easy feat. I have an odd sense of humor I've never really been one for the funny, oh he stubbed his toe, watch him hop around--and then you laugh scenarios. I'm more for the, you're not even trying, that's just real life, kind of humor. Geek Girl gives me that. I mean it just felt like real life mishaps that happened to turn out funny, in the most natural way possible--and I loved it!

I loved this book, it did no wrong in my eyes. None. 

The characters: Harriet Manners. I mean is that not the geekiest but oddly proper, and coolest name for a geek girl? She was a nerdy, disaster but in the funniest way. Aside from being bullied, having her book bag defaced with the word "geek," in unremovable lettering--she also has a fashionista best friend (don't ask how that happened), a lawyer for a mom, a goof for a dad, and a stalker--that is also a geek, Toby. (Whom in a Sheldon Cooper-y weird kind of attraction-y way, I loved--don't ask)

Harriet is a geek, and she's okay with that until she's spotted, and no I don't mean she suddenly became a dalmatian, I mean she got picked up by a top modeling agency. This changes the course of the story and most obviously her life. 

She's geek girl, model extraordinaire. Kind of. She wreaks all kinds of havoc in the process, and it had me bubbling over with laughter.

The best friend, Nat is fierce, because of a major toss up in the story, she spends most of it outside of Harriet's story--but because of her fierce loyalty, I dug her.

The mother Annabel, she was a force to be reckoned with, but I came to enjoy her.

The DAD. He was absolutely hysterical. I mean if I were the child I wouldn't be nearly as amused but on the outside looking in, come on, he was a gem. 

The love interest, Nick--he's there, and he's not--don't expect much romance in this one, because it's not there, lovies.

The modeling agent--Is he real? He spoke in Strawberry Shortcake, Barney lingo. It was cavity inducing--but also very funny. You'd have to read it to understand.

Toby--The stalker He's like a good bad stalker because you know he's there, and you don't. But his intentions are nothing but good. He's just a geek wanting the connection of another geek--he just wants to marry this one, normal.

I loved this cast. Any book that can make me laugh more than a chuckle, is an instant favorite of mine. And aside from being funny it had a powerful self-love message. So grab this book, get prepared to be nerdy, and settle in for some laughs.

A new favorite! 

WARNING: This is a series, so if you're not ready for that--there's your warning.
You're welcome :) Btw, I should mention it doesn't feel series-y, so feel free to read it anyway. 

13 comments:

  1. So happy to see you loved this one!! I got it on sale a bit ago and have it planned for sometime before year's end. i will have to bump it up! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a book I would love, although the lack of romance might bother me. And does the story wrap up? You said it doesn't feel like a series so I'm assuming no cliffhanger?? They drive me crazy in general but even more so in contemporaries. Great review! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is one thing that hints towards something but it didn't feel cliffhanger-y to me./Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I so need to try this series, it just looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is fun. I can't wait for the next book!

      Delete
  4. I've seen this book around, and I've been meaning to check it out! This book is officially moving up on my TBR pile :)
    ~Erika @ Books, Stars, Writing. And Everything In Between.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy books with humor, so I'll have to give this one a read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! Thanks for the warning. I am definitely it ready to commit to a series but its still an interesting book. Thanks for the awesome review :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, heck yeah, I need this book. Give me hilarious any day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have heard some great reviews about this book and after reading your review I really want to read it. I am always ready to pick hilarious books! And this one looks perfect for my taste. Picking it up for sure...and it's a series!! Well, even better :D

    Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Five stars! I can't say I've been all that interested in reading this book in the past, but I'm glad you reviewed it. You got me curious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book was certainly funny! I sometimes got a bit irritated by Harriet, but overall, a good character. The DAD , LOL. Total crazeballs. Have you read Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging? I dare say it's so much funnier and awesomer. Def recommend it.

    ReplyDelete