Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Forever For a Year by B.T. Gottfred Book Review--In Which I Cannot Deal

BLURB

When Carolina and Trevor meet on their first day of school, something draws them to each other.  They gradually share first kisses, first touches, first sexual experiences.  When they’re together, nothing else matters. But one of them will make a choice, and the other a mistake, that will break what they thought was unbreakable. Both will wish that they could fall in love again for the first time . . . but first love, by definition, can’t happen twice.

Told in Carolina and Trevor's alternating voices, this is an up-close-and-personal story of two teenagers falling in love for the first time, and discovering it might not last forever.


REVIEW
TWO OUT OF FIVE STARS
*A special thanks to the publisher for this review copy*

Gah. This book. I am amazed by myself. I pat myself on the back for finishing it. Because man, it was touch and go quite a few times. 

Let's just get to this. This book is clearly for someone in their very early teens. I couldn't appreciate this book. I am too old. It wasn't the love, or the fact that it was young love because duh, I read YA. But this had to be one of the most angsty books I've ever read in YA. 

Teens are insecure, heck adults are insecure. People are just insecure, some of us, of course. But this love, it was brutal, and always up for question. The main characters had am internal struggle with their budding love, throughout the entire book, and that made it hard for me to enjoy.

There was constant back and forth, does he love me, does she really love me, for the entirety of the book. The. Entirety. Of. The. Book.

I get it. They're young, and insecure, and unsure, and still learning. Point made. Got it. But geez was it hard to read. Hard. To. Read.

I definitely found the girl's perspective harder to bear. She was whiny all the time. She was insecure about everything. She questioned everything. She internally argued with herself about everything. It was like an epic one-sided battle. On the one hand I can see how that could be realistic. It's tough to be a teen. But it was a bit too much for me.

Here's an example of what I mean:

"I like you too," I said. Oh. My. Gosh. I said I liked a boy. To his face. And he has said he liked me. What did this mean? I MUST KNOW WHAT IT MEANS OR I WILL DIE..."

It's this kind of questioning that goes on throughout the book. Cute to some. Aggravating to me. She was very dramatic. Very. Everything was like this huge deal and I honestly don't know how she dealt because I just couldn't even.

Trevor's perspective was very similar but less dramatic. He's a guy. I don't want to use this review to deter anyone from reading it. I just want to do the job of warning readers of what they're getting themselves into.

I've seen reviewers both professional and not dub this tale emotionally gripping, and how much you'll be rooting for this couple. Hog wash. Okay, maybe not. It was emotional and I was rooting for them, to break up. That was a little mean, but my truth.

This book felt way too long, emotionally superfluous, draining and down right exhaustingly frustrating. I can't tell you to read this, and I can't tell you to read it.

Just know what you're getting. It was honest. It did have that but at the end (which was also annoying, I might add) it didn't matter.

This book is for someone. I know it. That person is just not me. At all. 

18 comments:

  1. These type of reads are always hard to finish and even harder to review so kudos for dong both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Claps hands in respect for finishing*. This book sounded really amazing in the blurb, but your review broke some illusions so thank you! I hate pointless eternal whining.

    Esty @ Boarding with Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh not good when there is whiny dramatic characters. Especially when they are like that the whole time. I won this book not too long ago so I will have to keep this review in mind before I start it - Thanks for the honest review!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got this one in the mail after having won a giveaway. I have read so many reviews similar to yours, so I will definitely keep that in mind. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol - Congrats for making it through. I love plenty of YA, but I know what you mean about this one. I've been surrounded by teenagers for so long and they can get annoying, so I don't want to necessarily read about an annoying teen too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Thanks. Annoying characters are just the worse!

      Delete
  6. You made me laugh through the entire review, I think I'm on your boat and hope someone else can enjoy the book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw definitely will not be reading this one. Reminds me of a certain September release I was highly anticipating but turned out to be annoying because of the whiny MC. But for teens, I think this might be a fun read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had the opportunity to go to a release part for this book, but then I read some excerpts and I just could not do it. I don't think I could have faced the author with a straight face, honestly. I won't be reading it.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ugh this sounds really frustrating! She sounds really whiny even for a young teen. I definitely wouldn't have been able to cope with that either. You deserve that pat on the back for finishing!

    -- Nicola Reads YA

    ReplyDelete