Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon Book Review--This Book Is Everything Everything.

BLURB
This innovative, heartfelt debut novel tells the story of a girl who’s literally allergic to the outside world. When a new family moves in next door, she begins a complicated romance that challenges everything she’s ever known. The narrative unfolds via vignettes, diary entries, texts, charts, lists, illustrations, and more.

My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.

REVIEW
I have swooned and I can't get up. Talk about the story of our lives. As readers, we constantly feel like (okay, maybe just me) the need to connect with others like us--and Maddy is kin. She is one of us. The very first line in the book is something like, "I read more than you." Maddy is my spirit animal. Unsure, curious, closeted, and wanting nothing more than the life she dreams of--and wishes she can have. That is me people. You now know my secret.

Anyway, I dug this story quite a bit.

Everything Everything is a thing of beauty--exactly what I anticipated and more. Beautiful and heartfelt, I want to read this story again and again.

I truly enjoyed and appreciated the obvious time and dedication Yoon put into this book--from the illustrations, the emails, the poems--all of it added to my enjoyment.

This story was unlike anything I've ever read. You would think it impossible to write an enjoyable story about a girl who's unable to leave her house, but Yoon, does it--and she did it well.

I want to say a lot about this book but quite frankly I think it's better to just read it without me gushing about everything I enjoyed and ruining it.

I will say that if you're a reader, a lover, and an appreciator of life you will love this book. It's well written, it's interactive, and involving and it's an amazing debut, with a stunning conclusion.

Yoon is well on her way to becoming a favorite among readers.

20 comments:

  1. Glad you really enjoyed this one! I loved it and Maddy so much. Can't wait for another book from Yoon! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i liked it too, especially the twist XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw your review on Goodreads for this! So many people have loved it, so happy you did as well. I really need to grab this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard great things about this book. I wasn't really interested until I saw all the raving reviews. I'm picking about my contemp but I've been into it more and more lately so perhaps I will check it out.
    Cassi @ My Thoughts Literally

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love when I connect with a character like that. So many people seem to love this book. Hopefully I'll get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have had the ARC copy of this book for so long and some how I have not been able to get it. And people seem to love it. After reading your review....I think I should finally pick it up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, I love the first line of your review. I’ve been seeing this book everywhere, so I might have to check it out.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh Jaz, I've been seeing this book cover like EVERYWHERE. LITERALLY EVERYWHERE, and I haven't heard a bad thing about it yet. :) so it's no surprise that you LURVED it!♡ xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to get a copy of this book STAT! My expectations are pretty high, what with all the raving and amazing reviews (like yours), but I can already tell this book won't disappoint me. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love the very first sentence of your review!! This was a fantastic book (my favorite August read) - glad you loved it too!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete