Thursday, September 10, 2015

Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge Book Review


BLURB

Graceling meets Beauty and the Beast in this sweeping fantasy about one girl's journey to fulfill her destiny and the monster who gets in her way-by stealing her heart.

Based on the classic fairy tale Beauty and the Beast, Cruel Beauty is a dazzling love story about our deepest desires and their power to change our destiny.

Since birth, Nyx has been betrothed to the evil ruler of her kingdom-all because of a foolish bargain struck by her father. And since birth, she has been in training to kill him.

With no choice but to fulfill her duty, Nyx resents her family for never trying to save her and hates herself for wanting to escape her fate. Still, on her seventeenth birthday, Nyx abandons everything she's ever known to marry the all-powerful, immortal Ignifex. Her plan? Seduce him, destroy his enchanted castle, and break the nine-hundred-year-old curse he put on her people.

But Ignifex is not at all what Nyx expected. The strangely charming lord beguiles her, and his castle—a shifting maze of magical rooms—enthralls her.

As Nyx searches for a way to free her homeland by uncovering Ignifex's secrets, she finds herself unwillingly drawn to him. Even if she could bring herself to love her sworn enemy, how can she refuse her duty to kill him? With time running out, Nyx must decide what is more important: the future of her kingdom, or the man she was never supposed to love.

REVIEW
*A special thanks to the publisher for this review copy*

I had high expectations for this one and unfortunately they weren't met. It may be more of a personal thing but I just didn't connect with this story. Not in the way I wanted, or anticipated to.

The characters: Ignifex. He was brooding, demonic, and otherworldly handsome. And, of course, I fell for him, hook, line, and sinker. But, his presence was never for long and it left me pining for him--for my needs to never be met. The author seemed to tease me with his character, repeatedly. Frankly, I wanted more of his character because he was the part of the book, I most looked forward to.

Nyx, was strong, and sassy--and this was how I preferred my characters, but I just didn't really care for her one way or the author. I never felt connected to her, and because she was such a large part of the story--I lost connection with the book. I was into it initially, but after a while I became disconnected and was reading for the sake of finishing. The sister, Astraia, I didn't trust her. I always felt like she was hiding something or up to something. I never got proof of that but even at the end of the book I feel she's not to be trusted.

The story as a whole was unique, but it was dark, and hard to connect with. I wanted to love this story, and I just knew I would--when I met Ignifex but it never happened. It just never happened.

This book might be perfect for fantasy fans that like slightly complex plots, and odd characters. Even though it wasn't for me it must be for someone.

12 comments:

  1. I couldn't get into this book. I've pretty much given up on fairy tale retellings, to be honest. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried that many but I haven't read one I was crazy about, yet.

      Delete
  2. It is so hard when you can't connect with the main characters especially when they take up most of the book. Sorry this one wasn't better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking about reading this book, but if you can't connect to the characters, I might have to pass on it! Thanks for the review and the heads-up on this book! :)

    ~Erika @ Books, Stars, Writing. And Everything In Between.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean give it a try. It could just be me. As usual lol.

      Delete
  4. Aww bummer, I was really hoping you would love this. Glad you did at least like it well enough. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, that's too bad. I adored this book. I love darker reads like this though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh girl well that is definitely a disappointment that you couldn't connect with the story. As soon as you talked about that sexy male character, I was all like: ohhh yaassss. But then....if you didn't get ENOUGH of him, I don't think I'll be reading this one because Keionda needs for there to be a balance and if he jumps in and out of the story like a hot potato..eh... I pass.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am still not sure if I should read it, I have seen people really loving it and then others just saying it is a little bit meh. I guess if I see it on sale I will get it but if not then not. Thank you for the nice review!

    HannahCassie @ http://psilovethatbook.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Same as HannahCassie. I have heard such mixed reviews that I'm scared to read it...
    Nice review nonetheless! This kind of reviews are very helpful when you're torn between possibly reading a book or not :)

    Laura @ psilovethatbook

    ReplyDelete