Friday, August 28, 2015

The Vanishing Season by Jodi Lynn Anderson Quickie Book Review

BLURB
Girls started vanishing in the fall, and now winter's come to lay a white sheet over the horror. Door County, it seems, is swallowing the young, right into its very dirt. From beneath the house on Water Street, I've watched the danger swell.

The residents know me as the noises in the house at night, the creaking on the stairs. I'm the reflection behind them in the glass, the feeling of fear in the cellar. I'm tied—it seems—to this house, this street, this town.

I'm tied to Maggie and Pauline, though I don't know why. I think it's because death is coming for one of them, or both.

All I know is that the present and the past are piling up, and I am here to dig.I am looking for the things that are buried.

From bestselling author Jodi Lynn Anderson comes a friendship story bound in snow and starlight, a haunting mystery of love, betrayal, redemption, and the moments that we leave behind.
REVIEW
*A special thanks to the publisher for this review copy!*

Apparently words are escaping me these days...


It wasn't fantastic, it wasn't completely terrible but it was pretty meh. The characters are not really all that interesting even though they try hard as heck to be. Quite frankly they kind of bored me, like a lot. The romance was sort of, it just happened. No sparks, bare, brief moments of aww--couldn't even save them. The romance portion was a slowly sinking ship. Without giving anything away, it just didn't last and I seen that coming. 

For a story about a bunch of vanishing girls, I sure felt like I never really found out why they were vanishing or how. I guess that's one mystery that shall remain, a mystery. Not much happens. It's like you're in this podunk town and you're listening to the town's gossip, or that random old lady that seems to know everything--tell you a story, and unfortunately it's not all that great of one.

I was just bored, waiting for something that never happened, and I just--meh, so much meh. It's gets three stars because I read it all the way through and even though I feel pretty blah about it, I enjoyed it for long enough to finish it.

17 comments:

  1. Sorry this dragged too much. It really does make finishing a book hard when nothing big happens and it never gets exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww. I've seen this at Barnes & Noble and was kind of interested but at the same time there were other books that caught my attention. Sorry you didn't like this one that much and was kind of bored. Now I know definitely to shove this off my TBR.

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard many things about this book that makes me want to read it. I don't like it when nothing much happens... that bores me. I also don't like that the title is Vanishing Season and we don't find out what the vanishing is about?!!?! That sounds irritating. I don't think I'll read this book :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry this one was so meh and boring. At least you finished it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems like a book that's only for ... passing the time? Like just weird but oddly page-turning. Reminds me a bit like Nova Ren Suma's books though Imaginary Girls was a great read.
    Anyway, don't think I'll pick up this book, but thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have definitly heard mixed reviews on this one. I think I'll pass on reading it.

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah well. I can feel your boredom emanating from your review. Lol. Probably skipping this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blah books are a bummer. It seemed like it would be creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a bummer, the plot sure seemed interesting though.

    ReplyDelete