Wednesday, August 5, 2015

The Song of David by Amy Harmon Book Review--I Wrote This Review with My Tears

BLURB
This is David 'Tag' Taggert's book, a supporting character introduced inThe Law of Moses. This is a stand-alone story, but it is highly recommended that The Law of Moses be read first to avoid spoilers. 

She said I was like a song. Her favorite song. A song isn’t something you can see. It’s something you feel, something you move to, something that disappears after the last note is played.

I won my first fight when I was eleven years old, and I’ve been throwing punches ever since. Fighting is the purest, truest, most elemental thing there is. Some people describe heaven as a sea of unending white. Where choirs sing and loved ones await. But for me, heaven was something else. It sounded like the bell at the beginning of a round, it tasted like adrenaline, it burned like sweat in my eyes and fire in my belly. It looked like the blur of screaming crowds and an opponent who wanted my blood. 

For me, heaven was the octagon.

Until I met Millie, and heaven became something different. I became something different. I knew I loved her when I watched her stand perfectly still in the middle of a crowded room, people swarming, buzzing, slipping around her, her straight dancer’s posture unyielding, her chin high, her hands loose at her sides. No one seemed to see her at all, except for the few who squeezed past her, tossing exasperated looks at her unsmiling face. When they realized she wasn’t normal, they hurried away. Why was it that no one saw her, yet she was the first thing I saw?

If heaven was the octagon, then she was my angel at the center of it all, the girl with the power to take me down and lift me up again. The girl I wanted to fight for, the girl I wanted to claim. The girl who taught me that sometimes the biggest heroes go unsung and the most important battles are the ones we don’t think we can win.
REVIEW
 
Hey Amy,
Here's my review

Amy Harmon writes tears in the form of stories. If you came away with water on your fingers, it isn't a mistake, it's just a result of reading The Song of David.

 Now, let me start off by saying this wasn't The Law of Moses. I wasn't completely awash with emotions like I was with The Law of Moses--but I definitely had tears in my eyes and a lump in the throat for like the entire last half of the book. It was unfair, and it was sad, and I wanted to cry. I wanted to cry hard. But like the total wanna be bad a$$ I am, I held it in, like a soldier--just barely. Okay, one tear might have escaped...

But, let me tell you this book didn't disappoint, not one bit. Not to mention, I was able to revisit Moses, and Georgia in this book--so it was a real treat.

Guys, Amy Harmon doesn't do emotion-less books because this is the second book I've read by her that has evoked some strong emotion out of me. The strongest of all sadness--but don't let me deter you, this book is worth reading. Because it is unconventional, passionate, heart-wrenching, and all around amazing writing. 

Let me talk briefly about the characters, David--sweet, hardened, rough around the edges, sexy David. David was the savior in the Law of Moses, and in his story--he's the one that needs saving. He's a charmer, with a dark past, and Millie--the blind dark haired beauty, just might be the one to save him. 

Millie was blind. I didn't anticipate that, and it gave the story and interesting spin, and her brother, Henry had some form of Asperger's. I think it was Asperger's, don't quote me.) Like I said, Harmon doesn't do cookie-cutter, or conventional. Nothing about this story was predictable, and because of it I had a lump in my throat, and racing in my heart for like the last 25-30%.

I want to say a lot but I don't want to spoil, so I'll just say expect to be an emotional wreck at least towards the end of this, expect a lingering sense of, "What's going on?"  Expect tears, expect smiles. Just expect the unexpected.  

Harmon is masterful. Her books move me, and she just became an auto-buy author. 

I obviously, recommend this--whole heartedly! 

But start with The Law of Moses, because I said so, ;) and because you'll have a better understanding.


6 comments:

  1. Harmon really is an amazing author! This sounds fabulous and I really think I need to run to Amazon and pick this up! Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes so glad this is another great Amy Harmon book! I have loved all of hers so far. Can't wait to pick this one up now! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this sounds incredible. I really want to read it now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would normally stay away from books like these, but I've already heard too many prodding to read The Law of Moses, so okay. You got me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My heart is too fragile for books like these, omg. Amazing review, Jazmen! I'm gonna make sure I've got tissues ready for this, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like such an emotional read!

    ReplyDelete