Thursday, August 20, 2015

The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness ARC Review

BLURB
A new YA novel from novelist Patrick Ness, author of the Carnegie Medal- and Kate Greenaway Medal-winning A Monster Calls and the critically acclaimed Chaos Walking trilogy, The Rest of Us Just Live Here is a bold and irreverent novel that powerfully reminds us that there are many different types of remarkable.
What if you aren't the Chosen One? The one who's supposed to fight the zombies, or the soul-eating ghosts, or whatever the heck this new thing is, with the blue lights and the death?
What if you're like Mikey? Who just wants to graduate and go to prom and maybe finally work up the courage to ask Henna out before someone goes and blows up the high school. Again.
Because sometimes there are problems bigger than this week's end of the world, and sometimes you just have to find the extraordinary in your ordinary life.
Even if your best friend is worshipped by mountain lions.
REVIEW
This is another one of those, "I don't know what to say," about this book posts. The Rest of Us Just Live Here felt like a realistic parody of paranormal YA mixed in with Contemporary YA. I think that's the best way I can describe it.

I'm not sure what to tell you this book is about but it's a sort of realistic story about a group of diverse teens, about to graduate high school, and figuring out their life--or attempting to, along the way.

The story deals with realistic problems, like OCD, being gay, having a crush, and just trying to figure out what this thing called life, is all about. Ness does a great job of that--keeping the story oddly real.

The thing is, I don't quite get it. I guess that's what is. I don't quite know what I'm supposed to make of it. I will say I really did like the characters. They were a diverse and oddly real bunch. Mike has a crush on Henna. Henna has a crush on Nathan, the new "indie-kid," Mel is on the underside of her own issues, and Meredith is a wise young girl. Not to mention Jared, is half God, and Mike's Mom is a politician. Average but unique, no?

I really loved the diversity of the characters, gay, black, mentally unbalanced, otherworldly--it was all there, and it worked. I have to say this book was very thought provoking. It wasn't all about entertaining the masses, but rather understanding them and that was pretty cool.

I'm not in love or in hate with it, but it was enjoyable. It kept me reading, and for that alone, it was worth it.

11 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of wandering plots in a book. I need a "point", yanno? 'Tis probably why I have no desire to buy this book. Le sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parick Ness is one everyone loves and I haven't yet. This sounds interesting and different though. I might give it a try. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm this book has been on my TBR list since I heard about it. I don't have an ARC of it, but I think I might still get it to try. I like weird books, what can I say LOL! However, I'm worried that there might not be a point to it because those kinds of books annoy me. Great review :)

    www.novelsandnecklaces.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. How to say this....but I have not read any thing by Patrick Ness :| :(
    But, I have heard so praise for this author. Going by your review of this book, I think I should definitely not start with this one. But, I can pick up from the ones that you mentioned in the start of your review.

    Bad that you did not enjoy this book much but good job done with the review :)

    Nita@ www.book-choose.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds really interesting and a bit strange too. I'm not sure what to think LOL! Glad you did like it even if it was a bit odd at times and the plot wondered. Great honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This novel sounds really interesting, especially since I don't know what to make of either the synopsis or your review. I can't wait to start reading this and actually see what it's about haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm ... I don't like it when I can't find a point to my books. Not sure if I'd be a fan of this one.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  8. I plan on making this the first Patrick Ness novel I read. I've heard raving reviews of some of his books and seems like you're still thinking about whether you loved or didn't like this one. Great review though and therefore I will be picking it up because it appeals to me :D

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still haven't read Patrick Ness but I hear great things. Too bad you didn't love this book, but I have heard he writes some different books. ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read anything by Patrick Ness but I also hear how wonderful his stories are. This one sounds interesting! Maybe ill pick one of his books up soon! Any books of his that you really enjoyed??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first book of his. I hear his other books are great though!

      Delete