Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Series Review: Mind Games and Perfect Lies by Kiersten White

BOOK ONE: MIND GAMES


BLURB
Fia and Annie are as close as two sisters can be. They look out for each other. Protect each other. And most importantly, they keep each other's secrets, even the most dangerous ones: Annie is blind, but can see visions of the future; Fia was born with flawless intuition—her first impulse is always exactly right. 

When the sisters are offered a place at an elite boarding school, Fia realizes that something is wrong . . . but she doesn't grasp just how wrong. The Keane Institute is no ordinary school, and Fia is soon used for everything from picking stocks to planting bombs. If she tries to refuse, they threaten her with Annie's life.

Now Fia's falling in love with a boy who has dark secrets of his own. And with his help, she's ready to fight back. They stole her past. They control her present. But she won't let them take her future.





BOOK TWO: PERFECT LIES

BLURB
 Annie and Fia are ready to fight back.

The sisters have been manipulated and controlled by the Keane Foundation for years, trapped in a never ending battle for survival. Now they have found allies who can help them truly escape. After faking her own death, Annie has joined a group that is plotting to destroy the Foundation. And Fia is working with James Keane to bring his father down from the inside.

But Annie's visions of the future can't show her who to trust in the present. And though James is Fia's first love, Fia knows he's hiding something. The sisters can rely only on each other - but that may not be enough to save them.


REVIEW





What I loved about the Mind Games series:
Fia, Sofia. Fia was a totally mind-f'd, black hole minded, bad a**. Fia's consumed with guilt for everything she deals with and does. She is literally consumed with grief, guilt, and worry for the duration of the series. It does get you down a bit but it made total sense. I got it, I did. It was just kind of saddening--to think someone so young, had so very little to look forward to.

I liked the idea of a school of young girls with otherworldly super powers, even though it wasn't all for the good. It was very unique.

The characters are well developed, and obviously well thought out. They came off as very three dimensional, and totally believable. You won't love them all, but they enhance the story.

The sister's relationship: I loved how fiercely loyal both of the sisters were to one another. It was a scary kind of loyal, but loyalty nonetheless. They protected one another and any cost, and it was kind of sickly admirable.

The writing: Kiersten is a great writer. It's fluid, and relatable and it made it totally easy to breeze through the books.

Diversity: This book is diverse without even trying, and I am all for it.

What I didn't like about the series: Nothing in particular, except for the fact that I felt kind of sucked into the darkness of the novels. I thought it would be more action, and romance based--but it was more than that. It was darker than that, and it was unexpected. I'm still not sure if this is good or bad.

Romance: I know that these books are not all about the romance, but I would love to know, who the I was supposed to trust, and if the love--or "like," that was shared was true or false.

Oh, and the time jumps. Those got a little confusing. It might be a issue for some readers, so be warned.

For a pair of books under 300 pages each, a lot was achieved. The books were well written, nicely paced and highly intriguing. I think it's a great unique read for readers in their far teens, and beyond. The games themselves are mind games, so be prepared for good but not "easy" reading.


11 comments:

  1. I remember loving the first book and being excited about the instalment. Go ahead and ask me if I'd ever read the second. Lol. Story of my life. I start something and don't finish. Kidding aside, I thought these books were short, too. I could've read them back to back in one sitting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww it sounded so cool but kinda sad that you rated them 3 stars

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad this series worked for you. Time jumps are awful for me because I tend to get lost. I love that it about sisters though. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These books look pretty good and plot looks intriguing. I would be fine with no romance but you said this series is dark. So, a little apprehensive over that as I don't really read such books. So, may be...may be not :)
    By the way great review!

    Nita

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sound really intriguing, I might give them a try some time. Time jumps don't always work for me either though so I'll be keeping that in mind! Great review :)

    -- Nicola Reads YA

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adored this series! I'm a bit sad you didn't love them more but I completely understand too. ;) The first was better than the second but still both fun reads if you want something different that does mess with your mind a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sisters remind me of my little sisters :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The sisters remind me of my little sisters :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This series have been on my radar for a while, but I'm not sure if I'll get to them. Right now I've been reading books that are easy to read, so maybe I'll hold off on these "mind games" hahaha. Awesome review Jazmen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you liked these. I loved them, especially when it came to Fia. I get what you mean about it being a little darker, but I love dark, so I was drawn to that. lol And I loved the way the book was laid out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember loving the first book but I never read the second one. I think because I had completely forgotten the first one and I'm so tired of rereading! Great review, I'll have to pick these up, I do love reading a complete series. ~Pam

    ReplyDelete