Thursday, August 27, 2015

Quickie Reviews--Liars, Cheaters, and a Love Triangle, Oh my!

Times Two.
BLURB
For fans of Gone Girl, I Hunt Killers, and TV's How to Get Away with Murder.

Max Cantrell has never been a big fan of the truth, so when the opportunity arises to sell forged permission slips and cover stories to his classmates, it sounds like a good way to make a little money and liven up a boring senior year. With the help of his friends Preston and Parvati, Max starts Liars, Inc. Suddenly everybody needs something and the cash starts pouring in. Who knew lying could be so lucrative?

When Preston wants his own cover story to go visit a girl he met online, Max doesn’t think twice about hooking him up. Until Preston never comes home. Then the evidence starts to pile up—terrifying clues that lead the cops to Preston’s body. Terrifying clues that point to Max as the murderer.

Can Max find the real killer before he goes to prison for a crime he didn’t commit? In a story that Kirkus Reviews called "Captivating to the very end," Paula Stokes starts with one single white lie and weaves a twisted tale that will have readers guessing until the explosive final chapters.
 

REVIEW
*A special thanks to the publisher for this review copy*
Liars, Inc was one of my most anticipated reads for this year. I'm always drawn to reads that have drama, liars, revenge and on and on. Maybe it's because my life is not nearly as exciting. But, I have to admit this book didn't give me the excitement I was anticipating. I think my expectations were too high. The publishers laid it on really thick with the Gone Girl, How To Get Away with Murder comparisons.

I mean the book was good but to say it was on the same level as Gone Girl or How to Get Away with Murder was sort of pushing it, and didn't allow the book to have a life of it's own. I sadly don't have much to say because I don't feel strongly about the book one way or the other.

I liked the characters, sort of--but I didn't feel any attachment to them whatsoever. The story itself was interesting but not what I was expecting--as I've already mentioned. (See, I don't have much to say. I'm repeating myself.) The big reveal, I guess was sort of surprising but for me, wasn't enough. It was a well written read, with a pretty decent set of characters. It just wasn't enough for me.

99 Days (of love triangle melt down and an unhappy (for me) but realistic ending).
BLURB
Day 1: Julia Donnelly eggs my house my first night back in Star Lake, and that’s how I know everyone still remembers everything—how I destroyed my relationship with Patrick the night everything happened with his brother, Gabe. How I wrecked their whole family. Now I’m serving out my summer like a jail sentence: Just ninety-nine days till I can leave for college, and be done.

Day 4: A nasty note on my windshield makes it clear Julia isn’t finished. I’m expecting a fight when someone taps me on the shoulder, but it’s just Gabe, home from college and actually happy to see me. “For what it’s worth, Molly Barlow,” he says, “I’m really glad you’re back.”

Day 12: Gabe got me to come to this party, and I’m actually having fun. I think he’s about to kiss me—and that’s when I see Patrick. My Patrick, who’s supposed to be clear across the country. My Patrick, who’s never going to forgive me.
REVIEW
*A special thanks to the publisher for this review copy--which feeds into my book habit.*
WARNING: LOVE TRIANGLE AHEAD!

I don't have much to say about this book. Aside from, it was interesting. It kept me reading, for sure. I think more so because I wanted to get to the end. I wanted to know how it all would end, and once I did--I was mildly pleased. Mildly, because some things did work out as I wanted, but the main part, the main part--I didn't get what I wanted at all. But, such is life, right? 

This book is love triangle heavy. I won't say much else but prepare for a, I can't make up my mind, I'm in love with two people and I just can't help it fest. It works though, even if it is still frustrating--as love triangles tend to be.

The book works, it's realistic--at least I'm assuming it is. I can't say I've ever been in a love triangle before but as far as triangles go, I think the author got the angles right. The characters work. They're likable and I didn't hate anyone. So, it's safe to say for a book with a love triangle--where I didn't hate anyone, it's a win.

It's well-written, the characters are good, the ending wasn't what I wanted, but I never faltered in reading.  So, all around, I'd say it was a good book. Was I in love? Not really, but it's worth reading for the banter, and the realness. 

15 comments:

  1. Neither books appealed to me, really. I've always become sort of familiar with Cotugno's writing, so I knew it wasn't something that I could enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I wasn't too crazy about this book. I might give another one of her books a try. MIGHT!

      Delete
  2. i should have started Liar's Inc! maybe not... ahahah love that

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the first book, especially since it was told from the male POV (we need more of those in YA!) but the second book, 99 Days, it really grated on my nerves for some reason. I just couldn't connect nor like the protagonist. Glad you liked it more than I did! Great thoughtful mini reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like the Male POV aspect but I just wasn't into it./ I think that whole love triangle, slut shaming fiasco probably frustrated you./ Thanks!

      Delete
  4. These are two I have seen around and am kind of interested in but not super into. Seems like they are just ok. Great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG these are two books that are still on my TBR. How am I supposed to conquer my TBR when there are just way too many books D: D:

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say you missed anything unfortunately.

      Delete
  6. Both great reviews :) For Liars, Inc sounds really intriguing but it definitely sounds a bit ambitious to compare it to Gone Girl and How to Get Away with Murder. I think I will still check it out just with lowered expectations.

    And since I absolutely love your blog I wanted to let you know I nominated you for the Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award. If you have already been nominated don't worry about filling it out. But if you want to check out my award post here is the link: http://idioticbookreviews.blogspot.ca/2015/08/sisterhood-of-world-bloggers-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started reading Liars Inc, but then I had to return it to the library. I wasn't really liking it much either. I liked that there was a male perspective and I didn't hate him or anything, I just couldn't connect with him. From the pages I read, it was pretty mediocre. I'm pretty sure I won't be picking it back up to finish it.
    I actually have 99 Days on my TBR though. It doesn't sound too bad. Great reivews! :)

    ~Cari @ myaddictiombooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a fan of mysteries so Liars INC doesn't really appeal to me, not like Paula Stoke's other contemporary book, The Art of Lainey. I reaaally want to read that one!
    99 Days looks cute, but nooo to realistic endings LOL. They hurt my heart. </3
    Love your mini-reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you about 99 days, the ending wasn't what I wanted AT ALL. But yes, realistic. If you haven't read How to Love, I highly recommend it. Great reviews! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete