Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Golden by Melinda Michaels Book Review



BLURB
High school senior Hanna Loch just suffered a blackout in front of her entire homeroom class. She hasn't had one in over ten years, and she’s terrified—the last time she blacked out, she woke up with no memory of her life before. To make matters worse, no one can explain why it happens. For Hanna, bad things tend to come in threes.

And that doesn't even begin to cover it . . .

When she learns she could be a descendant of someone who lived once upon a time, Hanna must put her trust in William Vann, a descendant of one of the most hated villains ever known. Their histories are intertwined in more ways than she expected, and he has answers about her past, answers even her family won’t share.

But is it safe to put her trust in someone who appears to be danger reincarnate, while trying to escape the darkness that tried to kill her ten years ago?

A loose fairytale retelling, GOLDEN is a story that’s just right, weaving together lost secrets, vengeful enemies, and what happens when fiction becomes reality.


REVIEW
*3 out of 5 stars*
Um, let me start off by saying I absolutely did not hate this book but I can't say I loved it either. The main character. The main character was judgmental, and kind of whiny. I'm not sure if it's attributed to age or just because she is a whiny brat. 

She has no memory of her life before ten years old. She's blacking out, and things are getting weird. After encountering the most handsome boy she's ever seen, Hanna finds out she's a descendant of someone "who lived once upon a time."

Her life, and this mysterious boy, William's life are weirdly intertwined.

It was oddly reminiscent of Twilight, at least for a while. No, it is not Twilight, but it was Twilight-esque. I think that was an okay thing, not unless you hated Twilight, then you may not like the slight resemblance. But it is slight.

I liked the fairy tale-ish theme that was woven throughout the book. I just felt like it could have played out a little better. I don't think it was flushed out enough. That was the most unique thing the book had going for it, so that was a little disappointing. Maybe, as the series continues, we'll get more of the backstory. 

As mentioned before, Hannah wasn't my favorite character. She had a kind of wishy-washy attitude and I wasn't feeling it. I think she was judgmental and whiny, and sort of bratty. She didn't take things in stride, and I felt like she could have--at least some things.

I did like William, his presence was strong, and I liked how mysterious he was. I always wanted to know more about him. 

The best friend was dramatic, but kind of fun. 

I don't know guys. I just don't know really what to say. I liked this book but a lot of it wasn't flushed out and I feel like a lot of stuff was lost because of it.

This book has the potential to do and be a lot. I think by the time the second book comes out the author will have pulled together and corrected all of what I found wrong with book one.

Don't let me deter you from reading this because it's a decent read, it's just missing a little something.


12 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the cover on this, too bad it wasn't a better read. Wonderful honest review!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...I like the premise, but the character will probably drive me nuts as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like the concept was there it just didn't live up to it. Glad it was at least somewhat enjoyable for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it sounds like an interesting novel but judging from what you think of it - the heroine && even comparing it to Twilight, I'd most likely pass on this one. Great, honest review, Jazmen :)

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wellllll, I for one LOVED Twilight so maybe I won't have too big of a problem if I pick it up? But I don't really care for how the heroine sounds. All wishy washy and stuff. So TANKKK YOUUU for steering me away from this book. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. The synopsis sounds so good and it does sound interesting even though it was missing something. I will add it to my list and check it out when I have some free time
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ewww. A whiny character? This doesn't sound like something I'll enjoy despite the fact I love that synopsis (it sounds like something by Jodi Piccolt and Samantha van Leer, though).

    Fabulous review, Jazmen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! I've nominated you for The Versatile Blogger Award. Click here to find out more. http://pagesofstarlight.blogspot.com/2015/08/the-versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know how I feel about Twilight, but I def don't see myself enjoying this. First of all, what is going on in the cover! YOU KNOW HOW I FEEL ABOUT THAT! lol. I also can't get with the whiny main character, I just DNF'd a book because the character was way to juvenile for me, so I'll be passing this right up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Black out and not remembering any thing? Well that sounds something like 'Never Never' from Colleen Hoover. But apart from that the descendent thing is different. The plot sounds intriguing and I might give it a try. Thanks for sharing!
    And great review :)

    Nita@ www.book-choose.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cover is absolutely beautiful ! Too bad it's not as good as it looks !
    Great review :)

    @ "Book Addict"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmm…I haven't even heard of this one, but the synopsis definitely piques my interest. I always like books where there are memory issues. I'll have to think about it, though. With so many books sometimes a 3 star read just isn't worth it. Great review! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete