Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Blackbird by Anna Carey Book Review--I Have No Answers For You.


BLURB
This twisty, breathless cat-and-mouse thrill ride, told in the second person, follows a girl with amnesia in present-day Los Angeles who is being pursued by mysterious and terrifying assailants.

A girl wakes up on the train tracks, a subway car barreling down on her. With only minutes to react, she hunches down and the train speeds over her. She doesn’t remember her name, where she is, or how she got there. She has a tattoo on the inside of her right wrist of a blackbird inside a box, letters and numbers printed just below: FNV02198. There is only one thing she knows for sure: people are trying to kill her. 

On the run for her life, she tries to untangle who she is and what happened to the girl she used to be. Nothing and no one are what they appear to be. But the truth is more disturbing than she ever imagined. 

The Maze Runner series meets Code Name Verity, Blackbird is relentless and action-packed, filled with surprising twists.


REVIEW
*A special thanks to the publisher for this review copy that has sat on my tablet and then kindle for far, far too long.*

Blackbird--what to say about Blackbird?! This is a hard one. I'm not sure how to review this book because I came in not knowing what it was about, and I went out still not knowing.

This book is one big mind screw. You spend the entire time reading the book wondering what's going on and when you're done, you're not really a step closer.

The book is about a girl who wakes up on the train tracks in California, is nearly killed--and she has no idea where she is, or who she is.

She stumbles around, trying to get answers, nearly getting herself killed, finding romance, and is still all around answer-less and confused like myself.

I'm confused, or rather I have a million questions I need answers to. The author doesn't give much and I think it was intentional. I think the author set it up to--(we can be mind screwed) lead us into book two.

Guys, I honestly don't know what to say, besides I NEED ANSWERS. I am highly curious. I just need answers!

I think I'll have a more coherent review for you after reading book two. If I don't, then...well then, I got nothing.

It's definitely a fast paced read, I'm just not sure what to make of it. I feel like I just wrote a bunch of roundabout words and I've still said nothing. Blame the book. Blame my lack of answers. Blame everyone but me.

That is all.

15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was but it wasn't at the same time. It's weird.

      Delete
    2. It was but it wasn't at the same time. It's weird.

      Delete
    3. It was but it wasn't at the same time. It's weird.

      Delete
  2. I've heard a lot about Anna Carey from her Eve trilogy, which I have and want to read very soon! I'm not usually into thrillers, but if I like Eve I will probably try this as well! :) I hope you enjoy book two! lol

    http://novelsandnecklaces.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds pretty frustrating! I don't know if I would be able to handle all the non answers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES! This was one of he most creative books I read in a long time. I feel like it definitely didn't really answer any questions but it was still really thrilling. Great review!
    Cassi @ My Thoughts Literally

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah I am not sure I can handle ending still feeling soo confused. Can't wait to here what you would think about book 2 and if you get answers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book sounds extremely intriguing. I love books where the protagonist wakes up with amnesia - I find it really interesting. I like the way we find out things at the same time as the narrator, but I also really dislike cliff-hangers and being confused. And, have you ever seen the Bourne films? I think the synopsis of this book sounds awfully similar to the plot of them, but maybe that's just a coincidence...

    Great review!
    ~ Denise @ The Bibliolater

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do like those kinds of books but this one, was super confusing in an oddly good way!

      Delete
  7. Minus the not having answers - it sounds like a great read! Plus I give the author props for being able to write like that and bring people back for the remainder of the series. Hope book 2 provides you with some answers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually really enjoyed this one. Definitely fast paced. I'm always drawn to books where the main character doesn't know who she is. I read the books back to back so that really helped. Can't wait to see what you think about the next book! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete