Monday, August 17, 2015

A Post In Which I Can't Even Keep Up and A NA Review

Okay, guys I know I haven't been doing much blog hopping as of late. I just don't know how you guys find the time to visit all the blogs. I WANT TO VISIT ALL THE BLOGS, but it's hard, really hard--and I cant even. I just felt the need to make this PSA because I am a being a bad follower. Bad, bad follower. I'm trying guys but time, he no my friend. So, if I typically visit your blog and I haven't--I will. I just need time. Life. Life is hard, and time consuming and I am trying to deal with it, and read, and visit blogs. I AM trying. I promise!

K? So, still love me. Please? Thanks! 

I love you guys right back!

Okay, so here we go, onto the review... Scratched by Marie Long


BLURB
 Twenty-four year old Kevin Anderson lost the opportunity to end his senior year at the University of Washington as the Huskies’ all-star point guard, and sought out one last opportunity to put his extraordinary basketball skills to use: by training for a chance at the pros.

But when he’s not on the court, Kevin has only two things in his life that gives him happiness: spinning records at the local clubs, and Trinity Brown.

Trinity attends almost every one of Kevin’s deejay gigs, but Kevin is uncertain if her love for him is genuine or a fangirl’s simple admiration. Kevin takes that chance and hopes that she will see beyond the celebrity persona. But when fall classes start up again, their busy schedules press their relationship.

Kevin doesn’t want to give up on her–on them. He hopes the happiness they had will rebound once more.

But when he learns the truth about Trinity, Kevin must decide if it is worth everything–and everyone–he cares about to save her, or forfeit this exhausting game of love.

REVIEW

I have to be honest, this wasn't my favorite. It wasn't terrible but I had some issues. Let me explain. 

I didn't buy it. 

The relationship between Trinity and Kevin was particularly tumultuous but it felt unnecessarily so. Let me be specific. I know that relationships have troubles. Everything is not supposed to be perfect. I don't expect that. BUT, I felt like the things that came between Trinity and Kevin, shouldn't have. Their relationship was pretty shaky from the jump, so even the smallest things threatened to break them, and that was disheartening--because I felt like they spent more time unhappy than happy.

Their relationship was questionable for me despite the "chemistry" between the two, and even the declarations of love, felt off, not right. Something was lacking and I don't know what that something was but I felt it--or rather didn't feel it. 

The characters themselves were okay, but I just felt like maybe, just maybe if things would have progressed a little slower between them (because it got a little insta-love-y-ish), I might have been more believing of the romance. I would have felt it more. 

My other issue was Kevin, which is obviously a big issue. Because, hello, main character. But, Kevin was so hot and cold, that it often left me feeling dizzy.

His reactions to his fame left me with a bad taste in my mouth. He was small town famous, with a big city ego. He often expressed displeasure, and lack of appreciation for the people that loved and adored him for his DJ'ing talents. He often referred to them as annoying groupies--and I for one, could not get with that.. He was so full of himself at times that it made me not like him.

It was an understated, full of himself attitude, but a bad one, nonetheless.

Now, I don't want to give the impression that I am bashing this book because I am not. But, there were some things that deterred, and deeply affected my enjoyment of the novel.

I did quite enjoy the whole music, club scene background to the story--and the fact that it dealt with real issues--but because of the things that bothered me, I can't honestly rate it higher than three stars. 

These stories have major potential, but this one lost me at some point, and it couldn't fully get me back--and that's unfortunate. I'm just really glad I didn't wind up hating it, but was able to enjoy some parts of it. 

I definitely would still recommend this book to those of you who love your NA, with a musical background. The characters are diverse, so it's definitely a win there. And, if you didn't immediately notice, the main love interest is a voluptuous sister, so yes to all of that!

So, give it a try, if not to just support another diverse novel, because we need them! I mean just because I didn't enjoy it, doesn't mean you won't, right?! :)

5 comments:

  1. that is true, everyone has different taste and interest

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard some days to fit everything in, but the good thing is, we all understand because we have been there. ;)

    Sorry this wasn't a bit of a better read for you but it doesn't sound like it was terrible either. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its ok Jazmen if you are not getting time to visit the blogs, I am sure every one still love you and your blog. So, no issues!!
    And as for the book, you have kind of mixed feelings for it , I think. It happens, when you do like a book but it does not touches your heart. And you don't understand the exact reasons behind it.
    Hope your next book turns out better for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is hard to fit everything in and I get it. I want to visit all the blogs too!! You do what you can. Glad to hear it was a diverse book and sorry it wasn't more enjoyable for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Offff. Why does this book sound like it tried so hard to make the romance work, but failed? And hey, stop apologizing! You come visit when you can. :)

    ReplyDelete