Thursday, July 23, 2015

The Law of Moses by Amy Harmon Book Review-- A.K.A. The Slump Crusher


BLURB
If I tell you right up front, right in the beginning that I lost him, it will be easier for you to bear. You will know it’s coming, and it will hurt. But you’ll be able to prepare.


Someone found him in a laundry basket at the Quick Wash, wrapped in a towel, a few hours old and close to death. They called him Baby Moses when they shared his story on the ten o’clock news – the little baby left in a basket at a dingy Laundromat, born to a crack addict and expected to have all sorts of problems. I imagined the crack baby, Moses, having a giant crack that ran down his body, like he’d been broken at birth. I knew that wasn’t what the term meant, but the image stuck in my mind. Maybe the fact that he was broken drew me to him from the start.



It all happened before I was born, and by the time I met Moses and my mom told me all about him, the story was old news and nobody wanted anything to do with him. People love babies, even sick babies. Even crack babies. But babies grow up to be kids, and kids grow up to be teenagers. Nobody wants a messed up teenager.



And Moses was messed up. Moses was a law unto himself. But he was also strange and exotic and beautiful. To be with him would change my life in ways I could never have imagined. Maybe I should have stayed away. Maybe I should have listened. My mother warned me. Even Moses warned me. But I didn’t stay away.



And so begins a story of pain and promise, of heartache and healing, of life and death. A story of before and after, of new beginnings and never-endings. But most of all...a love story.


REVIEW
Have you ever read a book, and thought, yup--this is what this person is supposed to be doing with their life? Maybe, it's just the writer in me that compares my writing to everyone else's. I don't know. But Harmon, is a natural story teller. I can tell. Her words are beautiful. They simply grabbed and kept me. This book Mortal Kombat-ed my book slump. I couldn't stop reading this book, and I didn't want to .

I'm going to have to break this review up into parts, or it will be one big rant-y (in a good way) gif. 

Characters: Georgia. Kick-ass, take no mess, Georgia. She was a golden haired, sass master. She gave everyone a run for their money. She starts off the story young, and even then you could see she would be a force to be reckoned with. I adored that about her. It kept this story away from being the typical good girl, bad guy routine. At the core they were that, Georgia and Moses, but they were SO much more.  Goodness, they were so much more. This girl had so much to give, and it was so interesting to read.

Moses: Be still my beating heart. Who has yellowish green eyes, and still sounds like a dream boat? Don't ask me how that works, but it does. Moses is a complicated, and tortured soul. It read through the pages like a punch to the gut, but he brought a smile to my face--all at the same time. His character was so complex--I feel like I can't say enough to explain him properly. I loved him, and I want to have him, and keep him. But it won't be easy to love him, that's for sure--and that's all I'll say.

There are of course, other essential characters, but the only other one I'll speak about is Gigi, Moses' grandmother. She is the good in the world. It's all balled up and rolled up to fit into her body. She was the glue that held Moses together, and for that I appreciate her.

The other characters do play an important role in the story but this review would be much longer if I talked about them all, and it's already getting pretty long. You'll learn about them if you read this book, and I think you should!

Plot: It's surprisingly simple, and at the same time complex. There is some otherworldliness to this story, and boy oh boy, does that part of it--hit you right in the feels. It absorbed me, until it was all I could think about.


This book is like, "Hey, you. Give me your heart. You hand it over, it crushes it, and then it hands it back, all fixed with a pretty little bow. It is just feels, feels, and more feels.

I honestly could rant about this book something awful, I loved it that much. I want to go back in time and read it again. It's honestly exactly what I was looking for, what I needed, and what I want from books. 

Guys, just, I'm not gonna tell you to read the book but...

That is all.

*Heavy satisfied sigh*

PS: I know I haven't done a lot of commenting, and blog hopping but I appreciate all of your comments, and those of you still coming around. I am trying to catch up. Just with this slump and everything, it's been difficult. Thanks for sticking around and I will be visiting and commenting more, I promise!




12 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so excited you loved this because I really did too and can't recommend it enough! Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really truly is a great read, and just what I needed to pull out of this slump!/Thanks!

      Delete
  2. YAY glad you loved it. I love this one and pretty much all of Amy Harmon's books. I think Making Faces was my favorite. I am looking forward to The Song of David! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ack! I remember downloading this book after reading somebody's review ways back. Thank you for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohgosh! I've been wanting to read this ever since I saw the cover, but I kind of felt wary because I had just read a few NA books that were blah, so I was scared this might be the same so I put off reading it. But I'm now convinced that I should pick this up. :D Great review, Jazmen! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your review! I really like The Law of Moses and the concept is so beautiful though it's a bit weird. The characters are just so good. Definitely not the typical NA book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blogging slumps are the worst!! I'm in a writing slump right now soooo....not a fun time. Not a fun time at all. But yes, I may or may not have laughed while reading the blurb because it takes the original story of Moses and kind of twists it to modern times. Hehe super cute!♡

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you got out of your slump! I'm adding the book to my TBR so thanks! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, a five-star eh? Gotta check this book out pronto! I like the sound of the main characters, especially Moses since he's the broken bad boy (I love me bad boys). Also curious about Georgia and how she ended up falling for him, of making him fall for her. That's the part in book that thrill me most.
    Anyway, great review Jazmen. Glad you loved it and now I'm looking forward to it too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Girl, I am super freaking jealous that you got to read this without me! You know we've been waiting to do a buddy read together, and this would've been the perfect story! You KNOW how I feel about New Adult, so hearing that the plot is simple but has some depth to it, and the characters are complex makes me want to cry tears of joy. I am picking this book up asap if it kills me girl. These arcs are about to be thrown out of the window!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YAY FOR BOOK SLUMP CRUSHERS. These books are like a gift from above. I love that last gif LOL!

    ReplyDelete