Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Daughter of Deep Silence by Carrie Ryan Book Review


BLURB
I’m the daughter of murdered parents.

I’m the friend of a dead girl.

I’m the lover of my enemy.

And I will have my revenge.
In the wake of the devastating destruction of the luxury yacht Persephone, just three souls remain to tell its story—and two of them are lying. Only Frances Mace knows the terrifying truth, and she’ll stop at nothing to avenge the murders of everyone she held dear. Even if it means taking down the boy she loves and possibly losing herself in the process.
Sharp and incisive, Daughter of Deep Silence by bestselling author Carrie Ryan is a deliciously smart revenge thriller that examines perceptions of identity, love, and the lengths to which one girl is willing to go when she thinks she has nothing to lose.

REVIEW
*sigh*

What is it? Why can't I just find that wow, YA. Why is it that all the books I read lately can't seem to push past three stars?

*sigh*

I wanted to love this. I really did. I promise you I went into this one with the openest, of the openest of minds. But, it just didn't do it. Why? I kept waiting for the story to reach this climax, but it never really got there--and that was disappointing, so very disappointing.

I mean come on, this book is basically Revenge, for young adults. And I love Revenge. Love it! But this, this didn't do it.

Daughter of Deep Silence had all the potential in the world to blow me away. It really did. The main character was very intriguing. She was dealing with   events but instead of cowering, and breaking--she came back fierce and out for blood. Which oddly enough, made me root for her all the more.

It just never really went far enough, for me. Especially, with the potential for a love triangle, and dastardly enemies, I mean this book had it all--but it fell through. I'm not quite sure how that happened--and why it never got more exciting. It always seemed to just touch the tip, but never went over. It stayed okay, maybe good, but never got great.

It was a decent read but it wasn't amazing, and I'm sad--because it really could have been.

*sigh* On to the next one...

17 comments:

  1. It can be hard to find the WOW in YA lately sadly, I know exactly how you feel. Sorry this didn't wow you. I hope your next read is a better one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. UGH. This one sounds like had so much potential. I mean revenge!! At least it was good even though it wasn't great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I hate when this happens. I just finished a book that I wanted to love and it was just ok. Hopefully the next book will wow you! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw :( Sorry things haven't been catching your interest really lately. Sounds like a reading slump :( My go to cure for those is to jump into a book I've already read and loved. Hope the next book you read is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely agree with your thoughts on this, Jazmen! I thought this one had so much potential to be amazing, but it ended up falling really flat for me. It just didn't have this umph! factor to it, I guess. :( Hope you read something amazing soon!

    Aimee @ Deadly Darlings

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mannnnnn. But....with a blurb that awesome you would think there would have been more to this. I was actually looking forward to reading this but now I'm not too sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might work for you in ways it didn't work for me!

      Delete
  7. Ah man, what a disappointment! I remember you telling me that nothing really happened in this story, which SUCKS because HELLO it's about REVENGE! I really wanted to read this, but I've seen sooo many mixed reviews, so I'm a little on the fence at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl borrow it, don't buy it. This way, you don't lose!

      Delete
  8. I've read several disappointed reviews on this one and it looks like you felt the same way as the rest. This is one of those moments when I am so glad at myself for not being interested on this one in the first place. Hope your next read will be great! :)

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sucks that this was a disappointment! I really wanted to read this because the blurb sounded awesome. I'm not really sure if I should pick it up now, I mean I don't really want to waste my time with an okay read. I've had enough of those already. Great review though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahh booo. But hey I watched Revenge, or at least some episodes of it. But I didn't end up finishing it because of life. I don't really like stories like that anyways, which is why I probably won't pick this up ever. I hope your next read is better Jazmen!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was extremely interested on this one what with all the hype out there, but after reading several reviews, I got bored with what apparently this book is about. Maybe it's the reading slump I'm going through as well. Like MAJOR reading slump so I feel your pain. :/

    ReplyDelete