Thursday, July 16, 2015

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas Book Review

BLURB
A thrilling, seductive new series from New York Timesbestselling author Sarah J. Maas, blending Beauty and the Beast with faerie lore.

When nineteen-year-old huntress Feyre kills a wolf in the woods, a beast-like creature arrives to demand retribution for it. Dragged to a treacherous magical land she only knows about from legends, Feyre discovers that her captor is not an animal, but Tamlin—one of the lethal, immortal faeries who once ruled their world.

As she dwells on his estate, her feelings for Tamlin transform from icy hostility into a fiery passion that burns through every lie and warning she's been told about the beautiful, dangerous world of the Fae. But an ancient, wicked shadow grows over the faerie lands, and Feyre must find a way to stop it . . . or doom Tamlin—and his world—forever.

Perfect for fans of Kristin Cashore and George R. R. Martin, this first book in a sexy and action-packed new series is impossible to put down!
REVIEW

Okay, so I completed A Court of Thorns and Roses, finally. I've had the book for some time now, so it's about time. I can see why people really mess with this book. I get it. I do.

I wasn't in love like I wanted to be but ,maybe at another time, when I wasn't in such a slump I might have BUT I still enjoyed it immensely.

Let me tell you why:

Feyre. I don't care what people say about her being a painter, and not really a hunter. The girl is strong. She stood up for her family when she didn't have to, and everything she did was for them, even when people felt she was at her most selfish. Why couldn't she have a moment to just be Feyre without the responsibility of taking care of three other people? Why?

Tamlin. I liked him but I was oddly surprised with his actions and how quickly he fell for Feyre. It's not something I can explain but it kind of threw me how easily smitten he was.

Rhysand. My heart. Can you hear it beating? Rhysand was my favorite. I know I'm crazy for it, but I make no apologies for that. He was cold-hearted, and I'm sure gorgeous, and he took no mess from anyone--and I loved it. I love the bad boys, what can I say?

I also really liked the very last part of the book, that was where the true action, and tests came in. I'm really intrigued to see how the author will continue this story. I didn't find myself wanting for answers, so I'm interested to see how the story will progress. 

What I didn't like: My only complaint was that the story moved a little slow in the beginning, and I was a little worried I wouldn't like it, but it managed to pull through.

All in all it was a great read, with an intriguing plot, gorgeous creatures, and a spicy romance with the potential for a love triangle. (So, triangle haters beware.)


29 comments:

  1. So glad you liked this. So many people were up and down about this one that I have been really nervous to try it. I think I might just break down and do it anyways and see for myself how I like it.
    Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read any Sarah J Maas but I know how much book bloggers rave about her.. This seems like a really interesting book I'll have to check it out ! Great review :)

    Laura @ What's Hot?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't flailing all over the place with this one as well. I still haven't figured out what it is about her work that makes her lovable to others and not so to me. Mystery, mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't know but Rhysand is my man! So, I thank her for creating him!

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you liked it! This is the first Sarah J Maas book that I read and I really enjoyed it. I have a bit of a thing for Rhys too, there's just something about him! Great review :)

    -- Nicola Reads YA

    ReplyDelete
  5. ACOTAR! I'm glad you liked it. I NEED to read this book.
    I'm hoping this one pulled you out of the slump? Maybe?
    Ah, classic Sarah J. Maas. Can the romance in her books ever be simple and non-complicated? No, no it cannot. But I love it.
    Olivia @ Fluttering Pages

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any Sarah J. Maas yet but hear good things , especially about this one. But I have also heard about the slow start and that always scares me. Maybe I'll give it a shot - Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you like this, Jazmen! Amazing review! I liked Tamlin better, but I agree with him falling in love with Feyre a bit too fast. Anyway, great review and happy reading! :)

    Kim @ Divergent Gryffindor: BLOG || VLOG
    Most recent post: The Book Shelf Tag

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just got my copy of this and I'm soooo excited to get into it! A lot of people didn't like the idea that Feyre wasn't exactly a badass huntress, but Belle, technically, wasn't a badass killer either way, sooooo, I don't get why people were being upset about the fact that she was a painter. It's a Beauty and the Beast retelling anyway. Glad you enjoyed this one! Wonderful review, Jazmen! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. GIRL YOU BETTER HAD LOVED THIS! You know how I feel about this book! I do agree, it was a little slow in the beginning, but I think Sarah has some type of formula up her sleeve. Throne of Glass starts off slow as well, then BAM the action kicks in, and by the end your wanting to read the hell out of book 2. I knew for fact you would love Rhysand. Remember I was defending him, and mentally cursing people out that didn't like him? People are tripping to not love this aggressive beast of a man. * drools * lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry you didn't give this one five stars but I'm still happy you enjoyed reading it!! And Team Rhysand all the way, yes! Do you think you'll be reading the second book once it comes out?

    P.S. I am really looking forward to that love triangle lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really loved the characters in this book. They were so good! I loved the fae world, and the plot really picked up in the second half. wonderful review!

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
  12. In glad you kind of sort of liked this one girl. :) I can deff relate with your dislike of the also plot and the slight problem with the characters but I'm sure it got better for you at the end, right? Also, I'm pretty sure I heard another book in this series is coming out next year? So that's what I'm waiting on for the series to be complete before I read. Teehee.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad you liked it! I just finished reading it and am polishing up my review now! I agree with you - Rhysand was totally one of my favorite characters! I can't wait to see what happens when Feyre goes to the Night Court. Definitely should be interesting! Great review!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review!
    I started this book sometime back but after 100 pages or so I stopped reading it. Coz as you said its slow in the beginning and I just couldn't get into it.
    But, whatever part I read, I liked Feyre and Rhysand. Rhysand was my fav too. I too was not smitten by Tamlin.

    Nita@ www.book-choose.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree, this one was slow to start, but then I was hooked and I ended up loving it. Glad you enjoyed it! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've only read good reviews about this one so I'm excited! They say the romance is intense too and I like that. Hope to read it soon and glad your slump didn't stop you from enjoying it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm soo on that crazy train with you, Rhysand was absolutely awful, manipulative and arrogant and I just ate it all up! It's actually messed up that I want a love triangle because the romance between Rhys & Feyre would be so hawt! hahaha, I'm so glad you loved the book and your review is soo on point.

    Cody @ Literary-ly Obsessed

    ReplyDelete
  18. you just made me even more excited to read this one!! I already have my tbr books lined up but I'd like to squeeze this in on my list now!! Great review Jazmen! :)

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete