Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Scarlett Undercover by Jennifer Latham Book Review


BLURB
Meet Scarlett, a smart, sarcastic fifteen-year-old, ready to take on crime in her hometown. When Scarlett agrees to investigate a local boy's suicide, she figures she's in for an easy case and a quick buck. But it doesn't take long for suicide to start looking a lot like murder.

As Scarlett finds herself deep in a world of cults, curses, and the seemingly supernatural, she discovers that her own family secrets may have more to do with the situation than she thinks...and that cracking the case could lead to solving her father's murder.
Jennifer Latham delivers a compelling story and a character to remember in this one-of-a-kind debut novel. 

REVIEW
Not what I wanted but not the worse.

I expected quite a bit from Scarlett Undercover. I wanted all of the Veronica Mars, private investigator, kick ass-ness. Unfortunately what I got is a sassy, quick-footed heroine--who despite being the kind of sass I was expecting wasn't enough to blow me away.

Scarlett Undercover has things going for it, it's main thing being the fact that our MC, is curly haired, smart-mouthed, and very much so Muslim. It was what grabbed me. I always appreciate a diverse YA, so I, of course couldn't wait to read this one--despite the review pile both physical and otherwise giving me the side eye.

In Scarlett, we meet Scarlet. Scarlett is a fifteen-year-old private investigator. She's hired to investigate a boy's suicide and soon discovers that it is anything but--and despite the fact that it quickly turns out to be a case of murder, Scarlett discovers her very life is tangled in a world involving cults, curses and the supernatural.

The supernatural is what threw me. I wasn't anticipating it--which goes to show I didn't read the blurb. It changed my entire outlook of the story because I just wasn't prepared for it--which is obviously my fault. So, I won't really get into why I didn't really care for it. So, moving along. Slightly.

Scarlett was pretty spunky, and she had a funny sense of humor. I liked it. I did. Everything else just felt extra. The case was interesting until I slowly started to discover what it was really about, and then, it just became okay. I don't know what I expected but I'm not really satisfied.

I just wanted more, maybe that's my problem. Always looking for more. 

Scarlett Undercover with it's sassy heroine, and supernatural mystery, is sure to wow readers, but I, unfortunately wasn't one of them.

16 comments:

  1. I like the cover for this one. The blurb also is intriguing. I'm going to give it a try, although I'm a bit concerned that you felt that something was missing.

    Aeriko @ http://thereadingarmchair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you'll find it completely fulfilling! I hope you read it and do!

      Delete
  2. It is always awesome when there is diversity in books - especially the main characters. Scarlett sounds kind of awesome - I love a spunky sassy girl. Sorry it wasn't the WOW you were looking for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes to diversity! Yeah, I found it lacking that certain something!

      Delete
  3. The blurb for this sounds intriguing; sorry it was lacking something special for you! It's always disappointing when you're expecting a lot from a book and it lets you down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been seeing favourable reviews for this book, and tho I'm intrigued, at least my expectations is less so than before now that I've read your review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yayy for diversity! But boooo that you couldn't get into this book like you had hoped! There's never anything wrong with wanting more. Hopefully you can find a book that is worth your time the next time around. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it wasn't a total win but it wasn't the worst./Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Diversity is always something I can get behind but I don't think I'll be picking this one up. Doesn't sound like my cup or tea. Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aren't we all looking for more? I have seen some other reviews that were similar in saying that it was good, but not enough. I hate that since I love mystery and there is not enough YA mystery. I wanted this book to be great! Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm…I'm torn on whether I should read this one. I loved Veronica Mars, and I actually love supernatural mystery books, so it sounds like it could be my kind of book. I'll have to think about it…thanks for the honest review! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an okay read, so if you don't--you won't really be missing anything./YW!

      Delete