Monday, June 8, 2015

I Am The Mission and I Am The Traitor Series Book Review

If you would like to read my review for book one, CLICK HERE!
*A SPECIAL THANKS TO LITTLE BROWN BOOKS FOR READERS FOR THESE REVIEW COPIES!*

BLURB
He was the perfect assassin. No name. No past. No remorse. Perfect, that is, until he began to ask questions and challenge his orders. Now The Program is worried that their valuable soldier has become a liability. 

And so Boy Nobody is given a new mission. A test of sorts. A chance to prove his loyalty.

His objective: Take out Eugene Moore, the owner of an extremist military training camp for teenagers. It sounds like a simple task, but a previous operative couldn't do it. He lost the mission and is presumed dead. Now Boy Nobody is confident he can finish the job. Quickly.

But when things go awry, Boy Nobody finds himself lost in a mission where nothing is as it seems: not The Program, his allegiances, nor the truth. 

The riveting second book in Allen Zadoff's Boy Nobody series delivers heart-pounding action and a shocking new twist that makes Boy Nobody question everything he has believed.



REVIEW

*THREE STARS*

I didn't really love this one. It's not that this book is bad, it just didn't grab me as quickly or as much as book one did. 

Our boy assassin is back on the field (the killing field), and he is more human but as lethal as ever. It's his lethal abilities that attracted me to this story in the first place. In this novel, he seems a little more doubtful about what he's doing--more than he had in the first book. This is a good thing because it humanizes him and brings him down to earth. It's the very thing that changes his character.

The changes in his character are the things that I enjoyed about this sequel and what essentially changes the pace, and plot of the story. Discovering secrets, and plans he wasn't prepared for propels, Ben (Daniel, whichever name he's using at the time) forward, placing him in positions that cause him to question his place and role in "The Program."

As per the first novel, the usual characters are in place but they're appearing more sinister than I could imagine, which leads to a lot of unanswered questions. What's happening with the program. Are they on his side or not? What's the point of this latest mission? And on and on. It's more likely than not a setup for book three, which because of all of these questions--promises to be more exciting than the sequel.

I will note it does get kind of thrilling towards the end of the novel, but I found it a little lackluster.  I mean I had to wait too long for it. I think my expectations might have been a little too high, but it's hard to bring them down after loving book one, so much. I honestly think this novel focused more on character development than it did actual action, and thrill. Like I mentioned previously I think it's to setup book three--which I think will give me that action and heart pounding I was looking for. 

I feel like I should say this before concluding--this series is worth reading, book one gives you action and thrill, book two is the character development, and I'm sure book three is going to be a nice compilation of all of the above. Read this series guys. If you like your MC's male and lethal--this book is perfect for you. With snark, tough a**ness, and a tad bit of romance, The Unknown Assassin novels are a promising series.




BLURB
Boy Nobody was the Program's best soldier. Now, after going rogue, he's their number one target.
The training that made him a killer is his best chance of survival. But in his search for the truth about the Program, he is forced to put his trust in another.
And trust can be fatal.
The final thrilling installment in this acclaimed action-adventure trilogy.
REVIEW
*FOUR STARS*
I Am The Traitor continues right where book two ends, and it gave me everything--I found book two was lacking. Timid but smile-worthy romance, unexpected twists and turns, heart-pounding action, and a satisfying ending.

Boy Nobody was the "Program's best soldier," but now he's their "number one target." Boy Nobody, Zach, Ben, Daniel--however you refer to him is as lethal as ever, but this time, his heart is in it. Zadoff really humanizes Boy Nobody in the last two books, and I enjoyed that. I liked the fact that he was able to come down from his "superhuman" status. It made him more appealing--even though his assassin, robotic, nature was what appealed to me initially.

What I really loved about this novel was the romance, Boy Nobody got somebody. ;) I also really liked the twists--just when I though I knew something, I found out I was wrong. This book reminded me why I really liked this story in the first place--solidifying itself as one of my favorite YA series.

My final opinion: Readers will really love the character development from book one to book three. Book two was a little disappointing but it sets up for a stunning conclusion in book three. You'll get the answers to all your questions, and you get moments of laughter--because of the sarcasm of the characters. The characters are solid, and entertaining--and the action is heart-pounding. A totally worthwhile series!

14 comments:

  1. Why haven't I started on this series yet? I feel like I could enjoy the books based on the summaries. Great reviews, Jaz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to read this one right away! I really enjoyed the first two (though I agree that the first was better than the second), and I'm excited that the third book was great too!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fact that Boy Nobody is constantly changing names, that's so cool! I might give these books a try someday. Great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! The name changes is cool but a bit crazy.

      Delete
  4. This is completely new to me but it sounds like the series gets better as it goes, I love it when that happens! Great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great reviews. I haven't seen this series, but I can always go for some good romance and I am a sucker for good character development.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The romance definitely takes a back seat in these novels, but you get more of it in book three!

      Delete
  6. Ahhh, this is why I LOVE coming to your blog because I'm always finding books I've NEVER heard of! I'm definitely going to add these to my TBR, you know I love my male perspectives girl, and he's an ASSASSIN? Yes, I need all three in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read the first book and I liked it & I have the second book (I've had it for months), but I haven't started it. I definitely will start reading it soon! Sounds like the books just keep getting better :) Great reviews!

    ~Cari @ My Addiction: Books

    ReplyDelete