Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Heat (Elements of Chemistry, # 2) by Penny Reid--What are you doing to me?



BLURB

Four days left.
Private beach (…and boat).

Not so invisible girl.
And maybe less of a jerk-faced bully than originally thought.
What’s the worst (or the best) that could happen?

Kaitlyn is finding life outside of the science cabinet of obscurity to be quite illuminating …and so are her pants.

When things heat up between Kaitlyn Parker and Martin—previously known as the jerk-faced bully—Sandeke, she places her trust in the one person she never thought capable of earning it, let alone keeping it safe. Fortunately or unfortunately for Kaitlyn, where she gives her trust she can’t help but also give her heart.

But how will the world beyond the sanctuary of their newfound connection react to their relationship? Soon senators, chinless billionaires, and elements beyond Martin and Kaitlyn’s control want to weigh in on the young couple’s future.

Navigating the chaotic inferno of new love might be more than Kaitlyn bargained for, and much, much more than her trust—or her heart—can handle. 


REVIEW

This series is going to ruin me. This couple is going to ruin me. They are going to make me lose even more time than I've already lost reading about them. But, I couldn't stop. I couldn't even if I tried. 

Despite being overly annoyed by the MC, Kaitlyn--and what I found to be snobbish, counterintuitive, and down right frustrating behavior. I couldn't stop reading. Not when I was making dinner, not when I was trying to watch a movie, just not at all.

Damn you, Penny Reid. Damn you! What have you done to me? Don't you know I have books I need to be reviewing, don't you care at all?

No. You sucked me in with your intriguing blurb, and you pulled me in like a siren and now I can't get enough.

*sigh* Martin and Kaitlyn has to be the most intense couple ever. I mean it's only been a short period of time but yet I stood in the background cheering them on like they've been together forever. Watching them be this way, reading this story it was too much. It made me feel emotional. I am a vortex of emotion. I don't  know if I'm more annoyed or sad.

It's funny because after about fifty percent of this book, I told myself I was done. I was annoyed and I was done. But, despite my aggravation, I can't give this couple up. I can't walk away. I couldn't walk away.

Let me explain. Kaitlyn was without saying too much, combative. It seemed at every turn she was just being difficult. She seemed overly argumentative, too inside of her head. But, Martin, maybe Martin was too nonchalant. *heavier sigh* I don't know.

 This book made me question my taste in characters like these. Because, normally I would have walked away. Normally my aggravation at Kaitlyn's judgement would have made me give up on this series.

But Reid's writing and clever way of sucking me in, is why I would read this book, the next book, and many of her other books. It all somehow just works, and I'm all the way in.

If you haven't read book one, and you plan to, you'll either love it or hate it. It's just one of those books. This book, book two, will likely piss you off, but if you feel like I felt about book one, you'll trudge on because you have to know. Because, you're invested it, and you know no other way.

This book is the highlight of Kaitlyn and Martin's relationship. It is where we get down to the nitty gritty. It is where they truly learn about each other. I think that's why it went the way it was. But, guys it was tough. It was hard to read. Because, I wanted it to be perfect even if perfection is not realistic. I am not satisfied. I need answers.

 I need things to go a certain way, in the final book--so I'm going to leave this review with these words about this book and book three. Book two: you turned me in knots, and I hate you for it. You had me inwardly yelling and groaning at the characters. Book three: I need you, and I need you now. I am begging you to give me what I need. Please don't disappoint me.

My fellow readers you know this feeling, you know how it is to just need answers, so you understand why I just need to leave right here--while there are still enough hours in the day for me to start on book three. So, tata for now. I'll be back when my thoughts are more concise and I hopefully have the resolution I seek.

And if I wasn't clear before, I definitely recommend this book regardless of how frustrating it made me. It's worth it. This series is damn good.  

BTW, there are moments in this book that are good, really good. And just Gah. It's a feels kind of read. So, go forth and read!

8 comments:

  1. This book must be really good to make you say all this in your review! Hahaha. Great review, Jaz! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that this series is sucking you in and refusing to let go! I so need to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so due for a book that makes me feel like this. I have a couple of greatly promising romance coming up, but will definitely check out the first in this series for the near future. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, whenever you get to it--I hope you love it!

      Delete
  4. Uh oh this sounds like a series I shouldn't read until I'm ready for stomach ulcers, lol. The premise does sound intriguing, though! I love survivalist type books, but these main characters sound like a handful :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm even more interested now! Kaitlyn sounds like a piece of work but I don't think that would stop me from pushing forwards with this book. Can't wait to mee her and Martin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually read book one and didn't love it or hate it haha. I was definitely leaning toward the love, but it didn't quite reach there. It definitely satisfied my cravings when I needed it to though, so thanks so much for the recommendation!

    I'm so glad you're still loving this series! It's an amazing feeling when a book or series just sucks you in and you couldn't stop even if you wanted to - I can't wait to read your review of the next book!!

    ReplyDelete