Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Delicate Monsters by Stephanie Kuehn ARC Review

BLURB
From the Morris-Award winning author of Charm & Strange, comes a twisted and haunting tale about three teens uncovering dark secrets and even darker truths about themselves.

When nearly killing a classmate gets seventeen-year-old Sadie Su kicked out of her third boarding school in four years, she returns to her family’s California vineyard estate. Here, she’s meant to stay out of trouble. Here, she’s meant to do a lot of things. But it’s hard. She’s bored. And when Sadie’s bored, the only thing she likes is trouble.

Emerson Tate’s a poor boy living in a rich town, with his widowed mother and strange, haunted little brother. All he wants his senior year is to play basketball and make something happen with the girl of his dreams. That’s why Emerson’s not happy Sadie’s back. An old childhood friend, she knows his worst secrets. The things he longs to forget. The things she won’t ever let him.

Haunted is a good word for fifteen-year-old Miles Tate. Miles can see the future, after all. And he knows his vision of tragic violence at his school will come true, because his visions always do. That’s what he tells the new girl in town. The one who listens to him. The one who recognizes the darkness in his past.

But can Miles stop the violence? Or has the future already been written? Maybe tragedy is his destiny. Maybe it’s all of theirs.
 
REVIEW
*A Special thanks to St. Martin's Griffin for this review copy.*
I guess in some sense these characters were "delicate monsters." I'm a little iffy or the delicate part. These characters were monsters in their own right. They were terrifying. These characters are not sweet or kind. They're the opposite of that. They are haunted and dark. Boy, are they dark. They're actually quite disturbing, but as I'm told Kuehn is good for the dark and disturbing.

But, I was also told she's a great writer, and she is in fact, that. But, this book was a bit much for me. I mean don't get me wrong, initially, I loved Sadie Su. I loved how solitary she was. She wasn't afraid to be herself no matter the repercussions. I always like these kinds of characters. I also really liked the fact that she was half Chinese. (I love a diverse character!) I also really liked her no-holds barred attitude (to an extent).

Miles, I liked Miles. He was hurting but he was innocent in everything. His brother, Emerson, he was just as dark as Sadie, quite possibly darker. There was something off, swirling around in the head of this boy. He liked the dark and dirty. He was an odd boy, and I can't say that I get him. I won't even try. 

Both Emerson and Sadie needed help they didn't want. Their disturbed minds ate at me at each turn of a page. I've seen this book mentioned as a mind f*ck and, everyone that said that is right. This book screws with your head and for me it was good, but then it got bad. 

Bad, meaning, I didn't know how to deal with it. I didn't know how to compartmentalize what I was taking in. It felt like I was being hit with a few things, and I didn't know what to do with it. Guys, this book is nuts. I don't know how to describe it. I don't know what to talk about. This book is just dark, and it's odd, and it's creepy.

If you like dark, and you liked your mind to be toyed with. Then read this book. Otherwise, just don't. There's not much I can say about it. But I will tell you, the blurb, is pretty much on point about this novel, so expect what it tells you.

6 comments:

  1. oark. odd. creepy. would play with my mind. count me in then! this sounds interesting. I definitely want to give it a try :)

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually received a copy of this today. The plot sounds super creepy and dark, my kind of book :) Awaeome review <3 Benish| Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know...I've to be in the right mind set for these type of reads. It sounds interesting, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES! YES! YES! I want this book sooooo bad! I'm all for dark reads that include fucked up characters, so this is sooo up my alley! I haven't read anything from Stephanie, but if her writing is as disturbing as readers are saying, then I definitely need to add her to my must-read list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll probably pass on this one, doesn't sound like my kind of read. Great review! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete