Monday, June 22, 2015

Attraction (Elements of Chemistry, #1) by Penny Reid Book Review


BLURB:

One week.
Private beach.
Invisible girl.
Jerk-faced bully.
What’s the worst that could happen?

Kaitlyn Parker has no problem being the invisible girl, which is why she finds herself hiding in various cabinets and closets all over her college campus. Despite her best efforts, she can’t escape the notice of Martin Sandeke—bad boy, jerkface bully, and the universe’s hottest, wealthiest, and most unobtainable bachelor—who also happens to be Kaitlyn’s chemistry lab partner.

Kaitlyn might be the only girl who isn’t interested in exploiting his stunning rower’s build, chiseled features, and family's billionaire fortune. Kaitlyn wants Martin for his brain, specifically to tabulate findings of trace elements in surface water.

When Kaitlyn saves Martin from a nefarious plot, Martin uses the opportunity to push Kaitlyn out of her comfort zone: spring break, one week, house parties, bathing suits, and suntan lotion. Can she overcome her aversion to being noticed? Will he be able grow beyond his self-centered nature? Or, despite their obvious chemistry, will Martin be the one to drive Kaitlyn into the science cabinet of obscurity for good?


Review:

I don't know if I mentioned this previously but I have been in the biggest reading slump ever which explains my lack of reviews lately. I'm reading book after book after book, and there were some rare winners--but there were a lot of misses. No connections, blasé romance, there always seemed to be something lacking in the books I've been reading this year. And then, I read Attraction.

I loved this. I'm saying, for a serial series this first book packs a punch. I adored it. This is my first book by this author, and I'm sitting here wishing I had all the monies so I can buy all the books.

Before I get into the actual review, I want to mention this book is not for the kiddies. I definitely wouldn't classify it as erotica but it has it's sexy times--and they're spicy. This is my parental discretion advised message.

So, now that that's out of the way, let's start with the review shall we.

Long story short, Attraction tells the story of nerd-girl, Kaitlyn Parker. Kaitlyn Parker is invisible, she wants to be. She hides in cabinets and closets all over campus, this is no lie. The book opens with her locked in the cabinet of her school's Chem lab. But she can seem to escape from her frustratingly attractive, billionaire lab partner, Martin Sandeke. 

They've been partners for months, with little to no contact, or speaking--aside from pass the Bunsen burner. That is until she over hears something, and is forced to save Martin from a scandalous plot against him. This is when things get shaky--and by shaky I mean good.

I am just grinning from ear to ear by how much I enjoyed this. I really wish it were a physical copy so I could hug it, I enjoyed it that much. 
(If I break out the gifs, it's most likely a book loving party!)

I mean, how does Reid manage to do in 160 pages, what many authors can't do in 300?! 

The writing in this is humorous and clever. Sharp, concise, and intelligent. It's just down right easy and pleasurable to read. This book is what NA should be. Sure, it has the obvious nerd girl, bad boy basis but it was more than that--because the banter, and the chemistry between the two separated it from the rest. I found myself highlighting quite a bit and that is rare.

I just adored the characters. They weren't your usual bad boy good girl combination because neither were 100 percent good or bad.

Let's talk about Kaitlyn, she is awkward and NOT SKINNY, she rocks a size ten (Real women, rejoice), she has a odd-ball sense of humor that just tickled me. And, she wasn't a weak girl. She was smart, and wise beyond her nineteen years.

She may have inwardly been falling into puddles of girl juice but she kept her outward strength which I think readers will appreciate, I certainly did. But it's her humor that makes her shine. She genuinely made me laugh, much needed laughs.

Now, Martin Sandeke. Martin Sandeke is like this pulsing force of hotness. I loved him. His intensity leapt of the pages. I felt like he was setting that intense oceanic glare on me. He was jerk-y but I feel like there was more to him than those icy glares, and sudden but tame mood changes.

*Sigh* I loved him. I just want to swoon over him, but that ending, WHAT? 
So, what now? I don't need sleep. I need answers!

And, yes there's a cliffhanger. It is a serial. Most I've come across have cliffhangers but, no worries the next book is already out. So quit reading this review, and go get book one, it's free at the time of posting!

It's worth it. 

Spicy, sassy, science-y goodness, Attraction packs a punch. It clubs you caveman style, drags you into it's proverbial cave, and holds you hostage. It makes you laugh and swoon, and damn it if you won't fall in love.

So, go, get it free, or pay for it--whatever you do read it!

Here's some of my favorite quotes/lines from the book:

"Do you always talk like that?"
"Like what? Like awesome?"
"Yeah, like awesome."

"He was so handsome I felt like filing a civil lawsuit against his parents, claiming punitive damages, pain and suffering to my psyche."

"Martin, I can't--"
"You can."
"I'm not--"
"You are."
"You don't--"
"I do."

"And you should have me there as your representative to make sure he doesn't try to zap you with his sexy ray." 
"Zap me with his sexy ray?" 
"You know what I'm talking about. I barely say him and I'm feeling the effects. He's got like an...electromagnetic pulse of sexy or something. So does his friend Eric. They're a menace. They shouldn't be allowed in public."




17 comments:

  1. Ohhhh Jazmennn. You have just convinced me to go out and buy this book! And I love the fave that this is a serial book because don't get me wrong, I like standalones nut I also love the fact that I can grow with the characters as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh Jazmennn. You have just convinced me to go out and buy this book! And I love the fave that this is a serial book because don't get me wrong, I like standalones nut I also love the fact that I can grow with the characters as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must and I hope you do! I hope you buy it and love it so you can come back and praise me for being a book recommending goddess. LOL!

      Delete
  3. I love love love this review, and I'm so happy this one got you out of your book slump. Book slumps are the worst, so I'm glad you've got your groove back haha. Also, the good news is you convinced me to read this book:I just downloaded the entire series XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I REALLLLLY hope you love it! I need someone to fangirl with! Lol. Enjoy!

      Delete
  4. So many people have loved this one! I picked it up the other day when it was free so I'll definitely need to make time for it now! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've recently heard of this author but hadn't check them out. I definitely will now as I find a good NA book hard to find lately. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just went straight to Amazon and picked this up! I'm so glad it was still free, I would have purchased it either way but girl FREE 99 is always the way to go! lol. After hearing you rave so much about it on voxer, I'm definitely interested in reading it. I love the shy girl, asshole crush scenarios, and with the Kaitlyn being quite the humorous character, I know I'm going to enjoy it. I do hate the whole billionaire thing, (maybe I'm jealous because they have more coins than me lol) but hopefully I can look past that. I'm sure I will :) Good review girl, I just love how they're getting longer and longer the more we chat. I feel my ways may be rubbing off on you! * hehehehehehe *

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you say billionaire? Grrrl, you know I'm a huge fan of those men. Where do I sign up? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A five star review? Oh, I'm getting this one! *crossing fingers it is still free*. Despite the lab partners being a bit cliché, I can't help myself but loving the kind of relationships that develop through school work interactions. The getting on your nerves/bantering is always fun fun fun. Thanks for the parental warning though, I better brace myself for it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gah! Right in the feels. I am not a huge fan of serials, but I love Penny Reid. So, I finally sat down Sunday/Monday and read all three of these and as always, she delivered. I loved your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great serial series! Loving it. I'm so glad you liked it and thanks!

      Delete
  10. Ha! I'm gonna check this out right now! Your review did it--but it was majorly because of Sheldon. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hadn't heard of this one, but I'm definitely going to have to check it out after reading your review! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete