Monday, June 1, 2015

A Work of Art by Melody Maysonet Quickie Book Review

BLURB
Shy, artistic Tera can't wait to attend a prestigious art school in France to prove to her famous artist father that she can make something of herself. 

But Tera's hopes for the future explode when the police arrest her dad for an unspeakable crime. Her father's arrest must be a mistake, so Tera goes into action, sacrificing her future at art school to pay for his defense. Meanwhile, she falls head over heels for Joey, a rebel musician who makes her feel wanted and asks no questions about her past. 


Joey helps Tera forget her troubles, but he brings a whole new set of problems to Tera's already complicated life. Then, to make matters worse, as her relationship with Joey deepens and as her dad's hotshot lawyer builds a defense, fractures begin to appear in Tera's childhood memories--fractures that make her wonder: could her father be guilty? And whether he's guilty or innocent, can she find a way to step out of the shadows of her father's reputation and walk free? Can she stop him, guilty or innocent, from tainting the only future she ever wanted? 

A Work of Art is a deeply felt story about self-image, self-deception, and the terrible moment that comes when we have to face the whole truth about the myths of our childhoods.


REVIEW
*A special thanks to Merit Press for this review copy*
I don't know what I thought--but this book was not what I thought. Okay, that sounds confusing. Let me explain. I think I had it in my mind that this book was going to be some kind of mystery--centered around a major misunderstanding. I was wrong. Oh, so wrong. This book was hard to read. I was kind of blown away by how dark this read turned out to be. I felt shame, disgust, sorrow, pity--a plethora of emotions. Most of them pretty strong.

I couldn't have anticipated what this book wound up being about. I won't say what--because spoilers, but if you want light and fluffy, this won't be the book for you.

This book has a thing going for it. That is the truth and rawness. A thing I both liked and appreciated. I wasn't as into it, despite the fact that I love my contemporary, dark, and gritty--which this one pretty much is--and even though I enjoyed it I'll be passing it along for someone else to fall in love with.

13 comments:

  1. This is new to me but I like that it's dark and gritty. You have me really curious about the story and I'd like to know what it's about. Thanks for your honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blurb sounds interesting and I like gritty and raw so I might have to check this out just for that - Great non-spoilerly review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds interesting! Dark and Gritty contemporaries can be good sometimes. Great review!
    Olivia @ Fluttering Pages

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds interesting! Dark and Gritty contemporaries can be good sometimes. Great review!
    Olivia @ Fluttering Pages

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not huge on dark and gritty contemporary, so I don't think I'll be picking this one up. I'm glad (at least I think I'm glad lol) that this book wasn't what you expected. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's interesting. I really love it when a book hits you in the most unexpected of ways!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like it could be a really difficult but kind of amazing read (maybe?). Hmmm ... I'll have to check out some other people's thoughts too. I hate it when you can't really say much about a book without spoiling it!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  8. I usually like my contemporaries light & fluffy, but I don't know, I'm sort of intrigued by this one. Maybe one day I'll get my hands on it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This one doesn't sound like my kind of book, but it's amazing that the book brought out so many strong feelings. That's saying something. ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adds this to the * books to snatch from Jazmen * list. GIRL. You always get the dark, twisted, gritty reads, while I get stuck with all the sickly sweet and fluffy books lol. This sounds SOOOO freaking good, like come on, a rebel musician? Mystery? Shame? Disgust? Count me in!

    ReplyDelete