Thursday, May 28, 2015

The Cost of All Things by Maggie Lehrman DNF Review


(BLURB)
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind meets We Were Liars in this thought-provoking and brilliantly written debut that is part love story, part mystery, part high-stakes drama.

What would you pay to cure your heartbreak? Banish your sadness? Transform your looks? The right spell can fix anything…. When Ari's boyfriend Win dies, she gets a spell to erase all memory of him. But spells come at a cost, and this one sets off a chain of events that reveal the hidden—and sometimes dangerous—connections between Ari, her friends, and the boyfriend she can no longer remember.

Told from four different points of view, this original and affecting novel weaves past and present in a suspenseful narrative that unveils the truth behind a terrible tragedy.

(REVIEW)--Why I DNF'd.

For those of you that have been visiting my blog for a while now, know how hard it is for me NOT to finish a book--no matter how torturous I might find it to be.

BUT NO LONGER! (Tika, I did it)

Guys, I'm throwing in the towel. I'm giving up on this book. I just cannot get into this novel, and I tried. I really did.  But, I can't continue. Not with that looming stack of review books giving me the stare down.

Okay, the infamous We Were Liars comparison, should've stopped me. I, am one of the very few people, who didn't get caught up in the wanderlust that is We Were Liars. BUT, in my defense I thought it was a decent book, just not all of what it was made out to be.

Anywho, when I seen that whole, "What would you pay to cure your heartbreak...transform your looks..." I was immediately intrigued. Spells? A spell to erase bad memories, hidden and dangerous connections? I was completely sold. I mean I think at some point in this book there will be hidden and dangerous secrets, but I'm giving in at 30%.

The characters, and there are quite a few of them. They are all so very lackluster. There's nothing outstanding about any of them. As the story alternated between characters, I found that I didn't care about any of them. I. JUST. DID. NOT. CARE.

My biggest character issue was, Markos. The way he chose to deal with his grief by taking advantage of one of his friends, gave me bad feelings--and that was the last straw for me.


I couldn't make myself care about these characters or their stories, whatever they may be. There's just far too much grief, and what feels like is gonna be too many unanswered, or should I say unfulfilling answers to the questions the book is posing. 

The writing is fine, it's just the story. I am struggling like a fish out of water, and I quite frankly don't feel like, if I decided to finish this book--I would walk away from it satisfied. So I'm giving it up. Maybe I'll revisit it sometime when I'm feeling like--well like I usually do, masochistic, and determined to finish a novel, no matter the cost.

But today, is not that day. So, I bid thee farewell, The Cost of All Things, you haven't been good to me. It's not me, it's you, and all that. Just go away.


10 comments:

  1. I also have a lot of trouble DNFing books. I will stubbornly push my way through. I can tell you now, though, that there are quite a few books over the years that I should have just DNFed.
    That's really the breaking point for me, though, too. If I don't care about the characters, I can't care about the book.
    Olivia @ Fluttering Pages

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have DNFed a couple books lately and that is so out of character for me too. I think it is brave to decide that a book is just not really working for you
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way about DNF'ng books. I just feel too badly for it. But sometimes, it is better to cut your loses before you absolutely lose your mind. This year, I haven't had a single DNF, but the more i think about it, the more I realize, I'll probably do the author some good if I let my distaste for a book reflected on the book review. Just. sTop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It totally helps clear out your TBR, and well you won't have to read books you don't like.

      Delete
  4. Sometimes you just have to DNF a book. Good for you for recognizing it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the dark side girl! I screamed " FINALLY " when I seen the post title, because let's face it, us bloggers do NOT have the time to waste on " MEH " books. Just a warning, once you DNF one book, it's hard to stop. I give you a month before you're on a " Did Not and Will Not Finish This Book " roll lol. Girllll, you know I'm over here giving you the squinting eyes! Don't be comparing this to We Were Liars, you know that's my book! lmao

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, they did the comparing not me. LOL. I can see myself DNF'ing some more!

      Delete
  6. I am glad to see that you called it quits. I used to feel like I had to finish every book, but now I figure that I have too many books on my TBR (and I know your list is big too), to mess around with a read that I don't enjoy. The only thing worse than wasting your time on a book that you didn't end up finishing is wasting more time finishing a book that isn't enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For me, the characters are the most important part of a story and if I don't care, it's so difficult to like the book. And yes, when there are so many books out there, why continue reading if you don't like it? ~Pam

    ReplyDelete