Monday, May 11, 2015

The Cage (The Cage, #1) by Megan Shepherd ARC Book Review

Book Info:
Pubisher:Baltzer+Bray/Harpers Collins
Source: Publisher via Edelweiss
Release Date: May 26th, 2015
Kindle Edition: 400 pages
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Science Fiction
The Maze Runner meets Scott Westerfeld in this gripping new series about teens held captive in a human zoo by an otherworldly race. From Megan Shepherd, the acclaimed author of The Madman's Daughter trilogy.

When Cora Mason wakes in a desert, she doesn't know where she is or who put her there. As she explores, she finds an impossible mix of environments—tundra next to desert, farm next to jungle, and a strangely empty town cobbled together from different cultures—all watched over by eerie black windows. And she isn't alone.

Four other teenagers have also been taken: a beautiful model, a tattooed smuggler, a secretive genius, and an army brat who seems to know too much about Cora's past. None of them have a clue as to what happened, and all of them have secrets. As the unlikely group struggles for leadership, they slowly start to trust each other. But when their mysterious jailer—a handsome young guard called Cassian—appears, they realize that their captivity is more terrifying than they could ever imagine: Their captors aren't from Earth. And they have taken the five teenagers for an otherworldly zoo—where the exhibits are humans.

As a forbidden attraction develops between Cora and Cassian, she realizes that her best chance of escape might be in the arms of her own jailer—though that would mean leaving the others behind. Can Cora manage to save herself and her companions? And if so . . . what world lies beyond the walls of their cage?


*heavy sigh*



*eye roll*



Okay, so tell me again how I got suckered into another book by a misleading synopsis? 


You know what synopsis, screw you. You sit on a throne of lies!

Okay, so let's break down the synopsis. Maze Runner meets Scott Westerfeld, as if. Waking up in the desert? Yes, okay? A model, a genius, a senator's daughter, an army brat and a smuggler? All there.  Nobody knows what's going on, yes that's true.  Otherworldly zoo, where the exhibits are human? Yeah, see that's the part that gets me. That just barely seems like the truth.

The synopsis makes this book sound so interesting and that is the biggest lie I've heard all week. This book is not interesting. It is so very boring. (Until about 92% percent in.)

Great idea, bad execution.

The characters: I couldn't have been any less unbothered by them. I didn't care about a single one of them. They could've all lit themselves on fire and I couldn't care any less.  Their backstories were dull. They were dull. Their scenes were dull. Their personalities were dull...shall I go on?

The plot: This is where it gets tricky.
The plot maintains it's mystery throughout the book. They're trapped and they have no way out. That's interesting. It brings all sorts of questions. What are they doing there? Why are they there? Why them? On and on. But, it just never panned out. 

The characters. They bickered, and they bickered, and they bickered. They let the elements they were forced into, weaken them. They almost became inhumane and I get it. I mean I can't imagine being trapped somewhere and not knowing how I got there. That could make even the most sanest of people go crazy. But, that's when your fight and will to survive should kick in.

This did not happen. They didn't survive they bended. They fought and they fought some more. All aside from Cora. She absolutely down right refused to take what was given to her--which would be absolutely fine, aside from the fact that she had no plan. 

She wanted out but she had no clear plan and because of it, it dragged down the book. It was like watching a fish swim from one end of the fish tank to another. A bunch of aimless motion.

Between the bickering, and the plan-less escape plan--this book was very hard to get through. A friend of mine practically threatened me to put this book down--because I couldn't stop complaining. But, I persevered. 

I can't tell you it was worth it. This book failed in so many ways, nothing could make it right. Wait, there was one thing. Cassian.

Cassian, in his otherworldly way made this book slightly worth reading. I'd like to pluck his character out and put him in another book if that would rectify everything. 

He was this weird presence. Whenever he came into the book, it gave me reason to read more. I wanted something for his character and I got it, sort of--and thank God for it. I was happy I at least got that.

I will tell you this, it took me a week to read this book--A WEEK. I normally can read a book in one day, if I'm not busy, two at the most. So, a week--is saying something.

Then the ending--well the last 8%": It actually got interesting. Can you believe it? It actually got interesting! Things started to come together, and something was revealed--that I can honestly say shocked me. It was like Eureka. It finally got worth reading.  

But having gone through 92% of irritation, I'm not sure I can say it was worth it. But if you don't mind going through pretty much an entire book to get to the point--then hey, worth it for you.

But guys, I am sorely disappointed. DIS-A-PPOINTED.  I'm not even going to bother rating this, because I feel like the stars are irrelevant at this point. 

I will say this, the ending was sort of cliffhanger-y, so it does leave room for continuation, if you're feeling brave enough to continue with the series. 

I can't say I won't bother because I do have this whole masochistic craziness thing going on--and like I said I like Cassian. I just have decided if he's enough for me to continue.

I won't tell anyone not to read this but if I were you I'd borrow this book before I dropped my hard earned bucks on it. Because, if I had bought this, I'd be pretty annoyed.

DONT WAN'T TO READ ALL THAT? JUST START HERE.
Let's put it like this:

Why you might want to read this: Lingering mystery, an intriguing otherworldly character, a unique plot.

Why you might want to avoid reading this: A tame love triangle, needless bickering, lackluster characters, and a story that took far too long to get interesting.

Guys, I'm not telling you NOT to read this but I will say good luck. Don't say I didn't warn you!





20 comments:

  1. Agh, this is the second time I read a review of someone I trust that says it's a hard to get into book. I wanted to read it, but now... I think I won't even bother. An 8% isn't enough for me to read a book. Loved the review tho!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really excited for this book when I first read the synopsis but I have heard the same exact things from other bloggers who did not enjoy it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dammit, synopsis. I was actually excited for this one, but I refuse to get sucked in to another one of these feeble love triangles that make me lose my faith in humanity. Meh. I have to find something else to be excited about now. Maybe I'll eat a taco. Tacos are exciting.

    Jai at Ficlov

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes. 8% of excitement. So worth it, LOLJK. Sorry this book pretty much tricked you into reading it. I would have decided to DNF this book, if I were you.

    Blessie @ Mischievous Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I should have but I didn't. I still haven't gotten a hold on the whole DNF thing. One day...

      Delete
  6. * Claps Hands * Well done girl, well done! I actually feel like a proud mama because the review is long! I half-expected it to be short (you know my definition of long is different from others lmao) but it really was! Why am I so happy about this?! I really need to send you a virtual hug because I just COULD NOT sit through this type of book. A WEEK to finish, you are MUCH better than I. I'm going to pass some DNF juice your way for future references lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Girl I need to learn how to DNF! This review really is long. I think I felt really strongly about my dislike. Lol.

      Delete
  7. LOL your review made me laugh especially the gifs. I have read mainly mixed reviews about this one but I do want to give it a go soon. Thank you for the heads up <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  8. I traded one of my arcs for this book soooo I hope I end up enjoying it somehow even though I heard lots of bad things!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh this sounds like a train wreck, kind of. I wasn't really looking to read this and now I'm definitely not going to read it! Thanks for the awesome review Jazmen! I hope someone else likes it :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm…this one is on my TBR but now I don't know. It sounds like it would drive me crazy too. But that synopsis! It sounds so good! I hate when I get suckered in by the synopsis and end up disappointed. Sorry this one was so bad! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved Megan Shepherd's The Madman's Daughter. Of course it was a remake, but still very different and imaginative. I am looking forward to finally making the time to read the second in that series. I had high hopes for The Caged. It is a shame that it was that bad of a read for you. A deal breaker for me would be if I feel the same way about the characters as you do. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry to hear you didn't like this. I want my characters to have a fighting spirit, not being submissive. Good review. I hope you read another book that you love.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was never really excited for this one and when I saw negative reviews for this (including yours now), I just assured myself that I won't be picking this up. Thanks for the honest review! :)

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh dang, I really wanted to read this one! But the blurb was what had me interested and I've heard from you and other people that it was pretty misleading. How disappointing :( Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete