Thursday, May 14, 2015

Confess by Colleen Hoover New Adult Book Review




Publisher: Atria Books
Edition: Paperback, 320 pages
Source: Purchased
Genre: New Adult, Romance, Contemporary
BLURB
From #1 New York Times bestselling author Colleen Hoover, a new novel about risking everything for love—and finding your heart somewhere between the truth and lies. 


Auburn Reed has her entire life mapped out. Her goals are in sight and there’s no room for mistakes. But when she walks into a Dallas art studio in search of a job, she doesn’t expect to find a deep attraction to the enigmatic artist who works there, Owen Gentry.

For once, Auburn takes a risk and puts her heart in control, only to discover Owen is keeping major secrets from coming out. The magnitude of his past threatens to destroy everything important to Auburn, and the only way to get her life back on track is to cut Owen out of it.

The last thing Owen wants is to lose Auburn, but he can’t seem to convince her that truth is sometimes as subjective as art. All he would have to do to save their relationship is confess. But in this case, the confession could be much more destructive than the actual sin… 
Review


Okay, so after having read Hopeless, and not really connecting with it--I figured I probably wouldn't bother picking up Confess or any other Coho book for that matter. But, alas I did.

I can't say that I'm converted into a Coho fan just yet but I might have eased towards it a bit.

Let's just start with what I liked:
The Art: the art is by far one of the best parts of the book. I love how dedicated Hoover was to making this story as full of life, as possible--including art made the story come alive. It made it personal, real.

Owen: Owen was kind of a mystery to me initially and that made me attracted to his character. He was charming, attractive and humble--all great boyfriend/book boyfriend traits. 

The confessions: I would have loved to be on the receiving end of some of the actual confessions that were written, that hadn't made it into the book. It must have been astounding. But the one's that did, definitely took me by surprise--in a good way.

I loved the incorporation of art, and confessions--it was definitely unique and made this story stand out in a way many novels can't.

The romance: It wasn't as passionate as I would've liked but it was tender, and even though it was hard, it was sweet.
*pause*
That pretty much covers what I liked, now here's what I didn't like:

I did not connect with these characters. I know you're all like, "What?"

I'm having deja vu of the same feelings I had when I finished Hopeless. Why can't I connect with these characters. Is it me? Am I expecting something I'm not getting? I just don't know.

The writing is good, the characters have depth, the art is beautiful, the love is romantic. Like, what is the problem. I just didn't feel that burning desire that I like to feel when I'm reading about characters whose relationships are doomed to fail before they start.

Maybe, it's because despite their "past" I felt no build up which meant there was no passion. I needed the passion. They kind of fell into the relationship sort of easily--and I think that's what made me lose the connection, or rather never develop it--like I had wished.

There's nothing wrong with Hoover's writing or ideas, it all flowed smoothly, but for me, I guess I was looking for more of passionate, slow burning connection, and I didn't get that.

I will say though, I loved the ending and the very beginning. In the beginning I had a lump in throat the size of a meatball, and by the ending I was smiling. I definitely loved the way it wrapped up. It wasn't exactly a neat little bow, but it was the HEA I was looking for.

I want to recommend this one to people who believe in fate, and are looking for the kind of romance that is easy with problems that are not too serious.

I'm not fully convinced yet, about the whole joining the COHOrt thing but I'm working on getting through Ugly Love, so we'll see.

20 comments:

  1. It's funny. I felt exactly the same way about this when I read it. I'm a huge fan of this author, so I was a little disappointed when it wasn't nearly as great as her other books. I'm always looking forward to reading her books though.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love me a CoHo book and I really liked Confess. But I hear you on the lack of build up on the romance side. The confessions and art were so awesome though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try some of her others, so I'm looking forward to becoming a fan!

      Delete
  3. A lot of people did say that they couldn't connect to Confess. Try Ugly Love or Maybe Someday, those two are a sure hit! :D Tika really needs to get her ass in gear so we can buddy read Confess pronto. Great review, Jazmen! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Blessie. Yes! I really want to see what you guys think!

      Delete
  4. Great review! I recently read Maybe Someday by Coleen Hoover and loved it SO MUCH. I have Confess, and will probably be reading it very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I hear Maybe Someday and Ugly Love are here best ones. I hope you enjoy, Confess!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you, I didn't the heroine although I loved the male lead Owen. The insta love bothered me so much, it was enough to dislike the book :( Thank you for the honest review :) <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have yet to even read a CoHo book honestly, I might start with Someday because that's the one most people like, but I'm not sure. I'm glad you liked Confess! I've been seeing mixed reviews on it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww!! Sorry you didn't love it! My favorite parts were the confessions and the art! I didn't quite connect with the characters either, but I did like them! (: Definitely read Ugly Love! I only rated it 3.5 stars, but when I found out Nick Bateman was cast as Miles Archer for the movie, whooooo!! My rating totally turned into a 5. JK! It's definitely a trainwreck of a love story, though! Very enjoyable read!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I consider myself a CoHo fan since I enjoyed Hopeless, Finding Cinderella and Maybe Someday (LOVED THAT BOOK), but I haven't feld the need to read Confess. I should get to Ugly Love, but Confess simply doesn't appeal to me. It sounds interesting, just not " a must read".
    Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I consider myself a CoHo fan since I enjoyed Hopeless, Finding Cinderella and Maybe Someday (LOVED THAT BOOK), but I haven't feld the need to read Confess. I should get to Ugly Love, but Confess simply doesn't appeal to me. It sounds interesting, just not " a must read".
    Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wooow, I love it! Enjoy the weekend honey!

    I invite you to join my worldwide giveaways:
    Jexshop 10$ gift card & Polka dots dress

    If you want to follow each other, please follow me and I'll do the same:
    My blog | Bloglovin | Facebook

    (っ◕‿◕)っ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. I liked this book and for me, the best part was the ending. That was definitely a teary, awww moment. However, I was disappointed in the big thing that keeps them apart. Such a cliché. The "villain" character is two-dimensional, as is another character that's problematic for seemingly no good reason. So while I enjoyed the book, and it tugs at your heartstrings, I didn't love it. This is probably my least favorite Colleen Hoover. Sorry you didn't connect with the characters!! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never read a Colleen Hoover book but all I hear are rave reviews. I'm glad to see a different opinion!

    Lovely review

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never read a Colleen Hoover book but all I hear are rave reviews. I'm glad to see a different opinion!

    Lovely review

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never read a Colleen Hoover book but all I hear are rave reviews. I'm glad to see a different opinion!

    Lovely review

    ReplyDelete