Monday, April 27, 2015

Snow White Lies By Sarah J. Pepper--A New Adult Book Review


Evil poisons everyone. Period. Our mouths water when we sink our teeth into what we have always craved. Surrendering to our desires by biting off delectable piece of the forbidden fruit is nothing more than a meager confession: Poison tastes sinfully sweet,”—Confessions of the Big Apple Debutante, by blogger Miss Snow White.

A special thanks to the author for this review copy!
I want to start off by saying the synopsis doesn't give much away, and I'm assuming it was intentional. Because, quite frankly I went into this not knowing what to expect, aside from an obvious grim retelling of Snow White. I got just that. 

Snow White Lies has all the basis of the original Snow White, a "prince", a wicked "queen", seven dwarves and an illusive poisonous apple. Except in Snow White Lies, the prince is not even close to be a prince, the queen is far more wicked and dark than any queen I know, and the dwarves, they're evil and dabble in black magic.

What made this story stand out was the fluctuating time periods. Most of the story takes place in the current day but you get snippets of things that happened before, in another time.

The writing is good, and there is obvious time and thought that went into the development of the story and it's characters-- but despite that it just didn't grab me. I can't pinpoint what it was exactly but I just wasn't feeling it. I didn't feel connected to the story or the characters. Crazy thing is I can't really explain why, I just didn't.

"Snow White is a seemingly snobby debutante with a penchant for parties, drinks, and good causes. The "prince" is wrapped up with dwarves who have more power and magic simmering in them than should be allowed. And this illusive queen, is evil in ways unimaginable. The dwarves are evil little people that roam the earth wreaking havoc wherever they go.

With that being said the idea is solid but I guess I just wasn't as into it as I was hoping to be. I don't want to deter any future readers from this book because it's a decently written book that has the potential to entertain you for whatever amount of time it takes to finish--but it just wasn't much for me.

The ending was perfect and fitting and I hope that this story is able to connect with someone in the way it didn't for me. 

I'd recommend it to readers who like their retellings a little grim and a little sexy.

2 comments:

  1. The idea sounds interesting but I'm not sure if it would work for me either. I'm not a big fan of Snow White. But whoa, the cover is amazing! Really eye-catching. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cover is stunning, it's very catchy! I'm glad the ending was really good as well, most books have been lacking for me toward the end.. Thank you for sharing x Benish| Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete