Thursday, April 2, 2015

I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga Quickie Review

What if the world's worst serial killer...was your dad?

Jasper "Jazz" Dent is a likable teenager. A charmer, one might say.

But he's also the son of the world's most infamous serial killer, and for Dear Old Dad, Take Your Son to Work Day was year-round. Jazz has witnessed crime scenes the way cops wish they could—from the criminal's point of view.

And now bodies are piling up in Lobo's Nod.

In an effort to clear his name, Jazz joins the police in a hunt for a new serial killer. But Jazz has a secret—could he be more like his father than anyone knows?

A special thanks to the publisher for this review copy!
This review is going to sound very conflicting but my feelings sort of are. I Hunt Killers had an original plot, with interesting characters, a fast moving story, and was an all around good read. While, I would recommend it, I didn't fully connect with it like I anticipated. Maybe I wasn't in the mood for this kind of read but I didn't connect with the characters like I would have wanted.

Jasper, the son, was very interesting--watching him battle his inner feelings, was very intriguing, even slightly disturbing. His best friend was a riot. The girlfriend, I have no solid opinion of because I felt like I didn't really get to know her enough. The cops were as I expected them to be, but slightly more caring. The father which we get a brief shot of, was very true to his character--in a good way.

I don't have much to say about this book because my feelings aren't strong enough in either direction but I would recommend this book, for it's original plot, and twisty ending. If not for anything else, the ending makes you want to know more--which is why I'll continue with this series. Maybe books two and three will push my three stars, to four or five.


9 comments:

  1. I have this one waiting on my TBR for me. Now that I know you enjoyed it, I'm even more excited to read it :)

    Great Review!

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I was listening to it at the perfect time for me, so I really enjoyed the book. I actually just finished the second book and got the third from the library!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this one, but I think that the 2nd book in the series is the best, so I would recommend continuing!

    Em @ The YA Book Butterfly

    ReplyDelete
  4. See my feeling for book 1 were pretty mixed so i skipped finishing the series, maybe i made a mistake :/

    brooke @ booklife4life :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the premise of this one - thank you for putting it under my radar now! Three stars isn't so bad, wonderful review <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've actually heard great things about this one, but I still haven't read it. Sorry you didn't connect with it as much as you want, but glad to hear that it has an original plot and a twisty ending. Great review! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. The 2nd book is REALLY good!! Very action-ey! Howie was a fav character of mine also. He's so cute in the first book :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review. This book has been on and off my TBR list for a while now. Knowing the second book is even better than the first is a good reason to put it back on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some people have recommended this to me, but I still haven't read this series. The blurb interests me, though. :) I hope you enjoy the next books in the series. Nice review, Jazmen! :)

    ReplyDelete