Friday, April 17, 2015

Dating Down by Stefanie Lyons Book Review

When a good girl falls for a bad boy

She thought she loved him. She thought she could change him. She thought if she just believed in him enough, his cheating and his drugs and his lying would stop, and she'd be his and he'd be hers and they'd love each other forever.

But for Samantha Henderson, X-the boy she will not name-is trouble. He's older, edgier, bohemian . . . and when he starts paying attention to Sam, she can't resist him. Samantha's family and friends try to warn her, but still she stays with him, risking her future and everything that really matters.

As moody and vivid as it is captivating, Dating Down is told in scenes and bursts of poetry that create a story filled with hurt, healing, and hope.


A special thanks to the publisher for this review copy!
Told in verse, this book has blunt, powerful, poetic prose. This is only the second book I've read that is written in verse, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I've read many bad reviews for this book and I'm not sure why. I figure it's because this is one of those books that you either hate or enjoy. You either understand it or you don't. 

X is the boy your Mom warns you against, and it's exactly why Samantha falls for him. He's everything she's searching for in her own life--the ability to live, love, and be free. But it's those very things that are her downfall.

I really enjoyed this book, more for the realistic writing than anything else. Well, that is aside from the characters. The characters are realistic, and to the point in a good way. They're not angst-y or whiny even though they have some reasons to be just that. 

The writing is so relatable and fluid. I found myself breezing right through the book.

All in all It was a great read that wasn't afraid to tackle gritty topics, and I found it to be done well. With this being Lyons' first book, I have to say I'm very impressed and I can't wait to read more of her stuff.

7 comments:

  1. it sounds like a nice contemporary read. something I try to read every once in a while. But I don't really know about the verse writing. I love nice words but verses aren't really my thing. It's nice to know that you enjoyed it though. Great review :)

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is new to me but it sounds really interesting. I'm not entirely sure if it's a we should be together and it works or an anti-love kind of romance but either way I'm interesting. Great review!
    Cassi @ My Thoughts Literally

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen this pretty book around a lot but I didn't know it was written in verse. Haven't had the chance to try a book with this writing style, but I'm hoping to do so soon. Maybe with this book or with Melt by Selene Castrovilla (which I believe is the book you are referring to). Wonderful review, Jazmen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh oh I might be the black sheep here.. I actually DNF this :/ I didn't like how it was written, although I did like the concept of it. I'm glad one of us could enjoy it though :) Benish| Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, this is Alisha from Goodreads. I followed your blog and hope that you will return the favor! My blog is myrainydayreads15.blogspot.com
    I must ask you... how DID you ever get so many followers?!
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omggggg!!! I have to read this! I've been totally into these types of books lately. Since you liked this one, I completely recommend Dusty by Mary Elizabeth & Sarah Elizabeth. It's Twilight fan fiction, but very similar to Dating Down. The guy is on drugs and a total bad boy and the girl is a good girl and they have this very crazy, unhealthy relationship. The writing is very poetic as well! (: Awesome review!!


    Pearl @ AsteriskPearl's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love, love, love books that are written in verse! I love the concept, and I can never pass up a story that's written in a beautiful poetic way. It seems like this book is going to be slightly dark, which is right up my alley. Great review Jaz, I'll definitely be adding this to my TBR :)

    ReplyDelete