Monday, April 13, 2015

Bomb Sarah Mussi ARC Book Review

When Genesis goes on an internet date she is only anxious that this latest guy won't be 'The One'. She's not at all worried about meeting a dodgy bloke or getting in too deep. And when her date appears she texts her best mate, Jackson, to let him know that she thinks this time, he just might be 'The One'. And he texts her back with a huge: I LIKE.

It's the one all right. But not in the way she expects.

For when Genesis wakes up the next day, she can't remember a thing. She can't remember where she is, or how she got there. And she can hardly move because she is strapped into some kind of body armour ... and then a voice sounds in her head: 'Get on to the 37 going north. You are strapped to a vest made entirely of explosives. At the push of one button I can detonate you right where you stand.'

To her horror, Genesis has become an agent of mass destruction. The countdown to detonation begins now...
While the cover appealed to me--with the birds bursting out of the girl's chest, the story itself did nothing to captivate me. From the very beginning, the story struggled. It was an amazing idea with poor execution. I was bored almost immediately. I really hate to say it but I was bored, with a capital B. This story dragged page after page. It was a real struggle to get through, what should have taken me a day or two to read, took me a week. 

The numerous life affirmations that were strung throughout the book really annoyed me. At times they didn't make sense to me and they made the story even more cumbersome to read. 

I didn't care for the characters, not even the MC, with a bomb strapped to her body set to detonate at any minute. Even knowing all that she was going to lose, it did nothing to endear me to her. She was indecisive, and hopelessly in love with a person that was no good for her. It drove me crazy.

It wasn't the worst book I ever read but it was not worth my time. I should have DNF'd it but of course I didn't. The plot was bland, the characters were bland, the romance was bland, it was all around bland. Even when I thought for a moment the story was going to get good, and I got to the end--the ending gave me nothing. I don't honestly know how it ended, and after all of that, it's pretty disappointing. I'm not recommending it but I won't deter anyone from reading it. Just know what you're getting yourself into, a bland story with blah characters, and a conclusion-less ending.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, that premise piqued my interest, but after reading your review, I'm definitely skipping this one. Nothing worse than being bored! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa. That synopsis sounds crazy.. and very random. LOL! From your review, I don't think I would enjoy this one so thank you for sharing! I don't think I'll pick this one up. (: Awesome review! Love the gifs!

    Pearl @ AsteriskPearl's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad, the summary makes it sound like a good read. :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just about to mention the cover as well - it's catchy & easy on the ease. Shame this one was a miss for you, hope your next book is a hit for you though :) <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  5. I almost pick this one up on Netgalley. The blurb seemed interesting.. Thanks for the honest review! :)

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete