Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Suspicion by Alexandra Monir Book Review

BLURB
A modern-day twist on the classic thriller, Rebecca, with a dash of the supernatural, a powerful romance, and a deadly family mystery.

“There’s something hidden in the maze.”

Seventeen-year-old Imogen Rockford has never forgotten the last words her father said to her, before the blazing fire that consumed him, her mother, and the gardens of her family’s English country manor.

For seven years, images of her parents’ death have haunted Imogen’s dreams. In an effort to escape the past, she leaves Rockford Manor and moves to New York City with her new guardians. But some attachments prove impossible to shake—including her love for her handsome neighbor Sebastian Stanhope.

Then a life-altering letter arrives that forces Imogen to return to the manor in England, where she quickly learns that dark secrets lurk behind Rockford’s aristocratic exterior. At their center is Imogen herself—and Sebastian, the boy she never stopped loving.

Combining spine-tingling mystery, romance, and unforgettable characters, Suspicion is an action-packed thrill ride.
REVIEW
2STARS**
Here's my review summed up in a  GIF, okay bye!
 
Lol. Kidding. Here's my actual review:
 
My Feelings about this book in GIF's:


 
I could sum this book up in one word, Meh. Everything about this book was just meh. The characters, the plot, the mystery, all of it was just a bunch of blah. I am not familiar with the "Rebecca" story but either way I just didn't really enjoy this book--and I tried to. I really did. I wanted to get swept up in the whole supernatural, downtown abbey feel of it but it just really bored me. I found myself rolling my eyes more often than not.

Why, do you ask? There was no real magic in this story. There was nothing in this story that gave it any oomph. It was all just lackluster retelling, with characters you develop no real feelings for, and a plot that could have been more thrilling but just wasn't. I can see how the author tried to build the story but it just never happened.

I was bored, and I don't really have anything "good" to say. I hate to say that but I don't. The romance was just as boring. Aside from childhood connections, everything else felt false. I didn't buy it.
While I'm sure Monir is a brilliant story teller, this is one story I could have done without. Don't let the cover fool you, as gorgeous as it is, the story just doesn't live up to expectations.

9 comments:

  1. well, that's disappointing... and I was actually thinking about reading this because the blurb really sounds so exciting.. thanks for the honest review :)

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might enjoy it, Czai--but it definitely wasn't for me.

      Delete
  2. I liked this book, but parts of it did feel off for me too.

    Great Review!

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't like this one either. Hope your next read it better! (Loved the gifs). :) ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel really bad for saying this but I'm glad you and I have the same exact thoughts for this meh book hahaha. Love the gifs Jazmen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darnit, I really wanted to get this book because of its cover. But I think I'll just pass. :/ Thanks for sharing your thoughts! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the cover of this book o.O but it's a shame it didn't live upto your expectations, hopefully your next book will be a hit for you :) <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's too bad. I really wanted to read this book because I really enjoyed the first book on her other series. :(

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete