Monday, March 30, 2015

Splintered by A.G. Howard Young Adult Book Review

This stunning debut captures the grotesque madness of a mystical under-land, as well as a girl’s pangs of first love and independence.

Alyssa Gardner hears the whispers of bugs and flowers—precisely the affliction that landed her mother in a mental hospital years before. This family curse stretches back to her ancestor Alice Liddell, the real-life inspiration for Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Alyssa might be crazy, but she manages to keep it together. For now.

When her mother’s mental health takes a turn for the worse, Alyssa learns that what she thought was fiction is based in terrifying reality. The real Wonderland is a place far darker and more twisted than Lewis Carroll ever let on. There, Alyssa must pass a series of tests, including draining an ocean of Alice’s tears, waking the slumbering tea party, and subduing a vicious bandersnatch, to fix Alice’s mistakes and save her family. She must also decide whom to trust: Jeb, her gorgeous best friend and secret crush, or the sexy but suspicious Morpheus, her guide through Wonderland, who may have dark motives of his own.
 

I loved this book. Such imagery, such characters, a tale that could be told for ages. I just adored this book.

I was a little afraid of this book because every single person that has read it before me has told me how dark it was, and for the most part I try to stay away from "dark" reads unless I'm in the mood.

I'm glad I went for it. There is so much to love in this series. The writing is fantastic. It's descriptive, and flowery. I was enraptured. I, of course had to take a step outside of my usual to truly appreciate the quirky characters and plot.

The author has an obvious affinity for Wonderland, it shows, and it's great. It might take some getting used to initially but it's well worth it.

I loved the characters. I don't have a single complaint about any of them from the creatures, to the humans. But, my favorite hands down was Morpheus. My heart swoons just thinking about him. The way he talked, the way he carried himself, those crazy hats. Gah. Swoon. Swoon. Swoon.

Jeb although I liked his character, I wasn't as into him as I was with Morpheus. Alyssa, was great. She was strong and unique, and I really liked her character. Every single character was solid, and life-like.

I literally can't wait to read the rest of these books. Highly recommend. Whimsical, flowery writing, solid characters--it's a win all around.

7 comments:

  1. Great review. I’m glad you enjoyed it. A lot of people have been loving this book.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this one, but I didn't love it so I haven't read the rest of the series, although I do love that the entire series is out. Part of me thinks if I reread the book now, I would like it more. I had it from the library, it was due back, and I read it even though I really wasn't in the mood for it. I'm a big mood reader so I think that affected how I felt about the book. Glad you loved it! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds amazing. Now, I try not to judge books based on their cover, but WOW. I love this cover. And the synopsis is too intriguing for me to pass this up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you enjoyed this one. It's been on my wishlist for a long time :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been dying to read this. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one.

    Great Review!

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaaah, I NEED THIS BOOK. It sounds marvelous and I so want to meet and swoon all over Morpheous like everybody else. :D Oh, and the covers of this series are so pretteeh! So glad you loved this book. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this series too! I still need to read the final book, though. I don't know why I always do that to myself - I love a series, but then I don't finish it!!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete