Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch Book Review

 
BLURB
A heartbroken girl. A fierce warrior. A hero in the making.
Sixteen years ago the Kingdom of Winter was conquered and its citizens enslaved, leaving them without magic or a monarch. Now, the Winterians’ only hope for freedom is the eight survivors who managed to escape, and who have been waiting for the opportunity to steal back Winter’s magic and rebuild the kingdom ever since.

Orphaned as an infant during Winter’s defeat, Meira has lived her whole life as a refugee, raised by the Winterians’ general, Sir. Training to be a warrior—and desperately in love with her best friend, and future king, Mather — she would do anything to help her kingdom rise to power again.

So when scouts discover the location of the ancient locket that can restore Winter’s magic, Meira decides to go after it herself. Finally, she’s scaling towers, fighting enemy soldiers, and serving her kingdom just as she’s always dreamed she would. But the mission doesn’t go as planned, and Meira soon finds herself thrust into a world of evil magic and dangerous politics – and ultimately comes to realize that her destiny is not, never has been, her own.
 
REVIEW--FOUR STARS!
I loved Snow Like Ashes. This book had everything a good book is supposed to have: great writing, fantastic world-building, a cunning villain, a taste of romance, solid and likeable characters, and most of all a great plot/story.
 
Raasch had such beautifully poetic writing--I felt as if I were actually apart of the story, or I'd visited the seasons in some past life. The descriptions of the world were phenomenal, poetic, clear, beautiful. I think that was the strongest part of the story.
 
The characters were great. Meira was strong and brave. Mather was fierce and wonderful. Sir was regal, forceful, and strong. Theron was kind, intelligent, and swoon worthy. Angra was cunning and evil. A lot of work was obviously put into this novel, because it shows.
 
I am quite surprised with how much I loved it. I cannot wait for book two to come out in October. Highly recommend it, especially if you love a good sword fight, takeovers, villians, strong female characters, and a dash of romance.

10 comments:

  1. Aaah I have seen so many people raving about this book and here you are doing it too... I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and just start reading it soon! Great review :)
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great review. I really want to read this, I am so glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I loved it too. Great world-building and characters. So glad you enjoyed it! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. so glad you liked this. I've been eyeing this book for such a long time now. I love poetic writing and great characters! Great review! :)

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you enjoyed this. The writing sounds exquisite; I think that I will really like this one! Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay!! Another blogger I follow that loves this book! I can't wait to read it!! (: Lovely review, Jazmen!

    Pearl @ AsteriskPearl's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really do love that cover .. I haven't ready this one yet but it's been on my radar for so long - glad to hear you loved it! Lovely review Benish| Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love sword fights! ❤ I want this book so badly, it will be the next one I buy physically, I just have to have it in my shelf. So glad you enjoyed it, means that I will end up loving it as well. Yay! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so on the fence about this. Review are either good or bad. I might check my library to see if they have it though. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you liked this, I'm just about to start reading it now :) Lovely review!

    ~Cari @ My Addiction: Books

    ReplyDelete