Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Losing it By Melvin Burgess, and others--Short stories review

A collection of fiction short stories by leading teen writers about losing your virginity

Including Melvin Burgess, Keith Gray, Patrick Ness, Sophie McKenzie, Bali Rai, Jenny Valentine, and Mary Hooper, some of today's leading writers for teens are gathered here in a wonderful collection of original stories—some funny, some moving, some haunting, but all revolving around the same subject—having sex for the first time! You never forget your first time and you'll never forget this book!

Losing it is a compilation of short stories, all about virginity, and losing it. I was intrigued by the range of perspectives and various scenarios, and I was not disappointed. While this book was not perfect, I didn't expect the stories to be. There were so many different perspectives being told about virginity all of them realistic, and some of them heart-wrenching--and tough to read. What I really loved about these stories and the book is how gritty and raw it was. The authors didn't seem to be holding anything back, and it was the right way to tell these kinds of stories. Some were funny, some were heart-wrenching, but they all were pretty great. 

Scoring by Keith Gray was a great start to the book, a story of a young boy and a young girl on the cusp of their first time, both as confused as ever.

Sticky Finger by A.S. King--was one of my favorites, a realistic story about girl losing it to the bad boy.

The Age of Consent by Jenny Valentine--this had to have been my favorite short stories. It was a laugh a minute. An unrequited crush, a virginal boy, and an outspoken grandmother made this short story seem a little too short. 

Chat Up Lines Melvin Burgess--this was an interesting story, in that we have a younger boy and an older girl, and they meet in the middle--but said girl doesn't know the boy is younger.

Different for Boys Patrick Ness--an eye-opening story about boys, and other boys, and their first times or lack thereof. 

Charlotte by Mary Hooper--This was definitely one of the harder stories to read, but it was good regardless. It was a historical sort of story about a young girl, her two brothers, and her now dead mom. The daughter struggles to stay above the poverty line and falls into the clutches of her mother's old boss, owing him more than she bargained for.

The Way It Is by Sophie McKenzie, a quick story about a young relationship, one ready for the deed, the other not, or maybe not.

The White Towel by Bali Rai--Another hard to read story, that moved fast but swept me up. An indian family finally tells the story of the white towel.

Green Screen by Andrew Smith--An intriguing story that involves a reformed "slut", a shy overprotected boy, and the classic Lord of The Flies. 

Finding It by Anne Fine--A story about a sex-ed teacher who's questioning her life choices, and dealing with a rowdy class.--This was a more mature perspective on losing it but it was my least favorite unfortunately. It just felt like a filler. 

This was one of those books I just picked up on a whim, and I'm glad I did. I really wish I were able o read more books like this one. A great short read filled with short stories that will stay with you.


6 comments:

  1. Hmmm…I'm usually not a short story fan, but I may have to check this one out. It's always interesting to see how authors treat this subject matter. It sounds like it was done in a realistic way, which I think is missing so much from YA fiction. There are too many fade to black scenes or it seems like the author is so worried about being too explicit that sometimes you're not even sure if the couple had sex or not. That is so wrong. Great review! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really read short stories, but I must make an exception for this collection :)

    -Cee

    ReplyDelete
  3. They sound cool! I'm not much of a fan of the cover since it's very plain and it doesn't scream at me to pick it up, but now that I know more about it, I think it would be a pretty good read. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not one for compilations normally but this one sounds so interesting! I like all the varying perspective! Adding to my TBR :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw this sounds like fun, light read - I'm defo checking it out! You should try the book Virgin, it's amazing :) Benish| Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have that book. Got about half way into it and stopped. I'll get back into it at some point.

      Delete