Monday, March 16, 2015

Every You, Every Me by David Levithan Book Review

In this high school-set psychological tale, a tormented teen named Evan starts to discover a series of unnerving photographs—some of which feature him. Someone is stalking him . . . messing with him . . . threatening him. Worse, ever since his best friend Ariel has been gone, he's been unable to sleep, spending night after night torturing himself for his role in her absence. And as crazy as it sounds, Evan's starting to believe it's Ariel that's behind all of this, punishing him. But the more Evan starts to unravel the mystery, the more his paranoia and insomnia amplify, and the more he starts to unravel himself. Creatively told with black-and-white photos interspersed between the text so the reader can see the photos that are so unnerving to Evan, Every You, Every Me is a one-of-a-kind departure from a one-of-a-kind author.

This book was freaky, at least it was for me. It was like being inside of the mind of someone who suffers from manic depression. I didn't understand it and I don't think I ever will. The writing was all so complex and downing, I don't know what I was supposed to get from it but whatever it was I didn't get it. Maybe I'm not cut out for these kinds of reads. 

The content is all very somber, and dark, and psychological. There is a crap load of angst. I think I need to go on Youtube and watch videos of cute puppies now to bring myself back up. The characters don't connect with one another aside from their connected relationship to the missing girl, if she's even missing, or whatever she is, you'll find out--if you decide to read it.

The mystery factor is there but like, "We Were Liars", it left me feeling unfulfilled. I was expecting this big hoorah at the end--which I did not get because it ended in a way I wasn't satisfied with. Not to mention most of the book is written like this. And I mean a lot of it.  It's unique but a little tiring.

The idea is interesting, but the characters, the plot, the backstory, was unfortunately not. As a first time reader of David Levithan I can't say that I'm impressed with the story although it's obvious he can write, and well. If this was all I had to go on I would have to pass on his work, because I couldn't take too much of it. If you are interested in reading his books. I would start with some of the others and save this one for last. Should you decide to read this one, keep in mind that you'll be dealing with a lot of angst, borderline obsession, and a roundabout mystery, that doesn't have a satisfying ending.

2 comments:

  1. If it freaked you out, then I better stay away from this book. Pick up something light-hearted and fun to get you out of this book :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm…sounds like one I'm going to skip. Not the book for me. Thanks for the honest review! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete