Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Bleed Like Me by Christa Desir Quickie Book Review

From the author of Fault Line comes an edgy and heartbreaking novel about two self-destructive teens in a Sid and Nancy-like romance full of passion, chaos, and dyed hair.

Seventeen-year-old Amelia Gannon (just "Gannon" to her friends) is invisible to almost everyone in her life. To her parents, to her teachers-even her best friend, who is more interested in bumming cigarettes than bonding. Some days the only way Gannon knows she is real is by carving bloody lines into the flesh of her stomach.

Then she meets Michael Brooks, and for the first time, she feels like she is being seen to the core of her being. Obnoxious, controlling, damaged, and addictive, he inserts himself into her life until all her scars are exposed. Each moment together is a passionate, painful relief.

But as the relationship deepens, Gannon starts to feel as if she's standing at the foot of a dam about to burst. She's given up everything and everyone in her life for him, but somehow nothing is enough for Brooks-until he poses the ultimate test.

Bleed Like Me is a piercing, intimate portrayal of the danger of a love so obsessive it becomes its own biggest threat.
 

This book, wow. I mean, wow. There is so much hurt, and darkness in this novel--I thought it would suck me up.

I still don't know how I feel about it exactly but I do now I need fluffy cute puppies, like now. What did I just read. This book is as unhealthy as the characters it portrays.

Okay, so Amelia better known as "Gannon" is a cutter. She cuts to deal with the "crap salad" (Crap salad was used in the book) that is her life. Then she meets Michael Brooks better known as "Brooks," and she feels like someone finally sees her for who she really is.

But everything that they become is unhealthy. I mean UNHEALTHY. It was heartbreaking to read, and at times it made me cringe. This book is dark, and at some points gruesome.

If you're looking for a feel good book, this is not for you. This book even when it's romantic is not sweet, and it just get's darker.

I'm not even sure what else to say, just expect dark, heartbreaking, romance with two people that have no business being together.

2 comments:

  1. *Sends over cupcakes and cute puppies*. Yikes! Just by reading the synopsis you kind of get the idea that this book is dark, and after reading your review, it's clear that it's not something I would normally read. But... I want to. I feel the need to read this book and see how unhealthy their relationship is, how dark and wrong everything gets. o.o

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh ohh this sounds like a really dark read, I haven't read one lately so I might dive into this one soon, fantastic review! <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete