Monday, January 5, 2015

Held Against You by Season Vining--New Adult ARC Book Review


Accused of a horrible crime and on the run, Kat has been rejected by everyone she loves. She’s a fugitive from her past, flitting from town to town with nothing but the clothes on her back. Until she meets a man who literally stops her in her tracks.

This notorious bounty hunter, with his stunning good looks and powerful instincts, never fails to capture his prey. But there’s something about his newest mark that gets under his skin–and it’s not just the naked innocence he sees in her eyes. Behind his ice cold demeanor, he has his own secrets... and now his lively, vulnerable captive is about to crack him wide open.

As they drive across the country together, neither of them can deny the spark of attraction between them. Will their journey force these two passionate opposites together…or will their dangerous secrets be too much to bear?
 

*A special thanks to St. Martin's press for this review copy!*

A decently written novel with some romance, and suspense to whet the reader's appetite--but it wasn't enough for me.


I was immediately intrigued by the main character, Kat's story. Right at the beginning she's on the run which is exciting especially for a beginning. Things happen pretty quickly, and she's captured almost immediately--which leads us right into the story.


The bounty hunter that captures her is both gorgeous and ruthless, sounds good right? And, it is except I never felt that fire, despite the obvious lingering sexual attraction.

It's pretty hard for me to enjoy a story when I don't feel "that" connection to the characters. The characters were attractive, had secretive pasts, and quick wit but they just never stuck with me. There just seemed to be something lacking for me.

While my initial impression was a good one and I was pretty pleased with the progression of the story aside from when the romance kicks in (it felt brushed over--at least the initial meeting) it didn't seem to matter how far I got into the book, I still felt unimpressed.

While I can see where some readers might be pleased, I just wasn't. If you're not looking for a knock your socks off kind of romance, this book will suit you just fine. Just don't expect too much steam or passion. It does have that suspense factor going for it though.


2 comments:

  1. I struggle with New Adult, I think it's because they are usually more romance based than I want them to be, but it doesn't sound like that's the case here. Sorry it wasn't a great read.

    Emily @ Follow the Yellow Book Road

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate when I can't connect with the characters, that usually keeps me from really liking a book. Love the bounty hunter with a road trip premise, though. Thanks for the honest review! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete