Friday, November 14, 2014

Watched by CJ Lyons Book Review

He Can't Run, and He Can't Hide. Jesse is terrified. For four years, a twisted hacker named King has hijacked his computer webcam, collecting incriminating photos and videos he uses to blackmail Jesse. So far, Jesse's given into King's ruthless demands in order to protect his family. But now King wants something that's too horrible to contemplate and if he doesn't get it, he'll kill Jesse's little sister.Jesse is trapped. King's always watching. There is no escape.Then hope arrives in a plain manila envelope. Inside is a cell phone and a note: I can help.
 Thank you to Source Books Fire for this review copy!

Even with the promise of on the edge of your seat reading, and the heavy subject matter--this book didn't really thrill me. I'm a huge fan of novels that feature hackers, and computer type geniuses but this one just felt sort of meh. It was an okay read. Not amazing, and not bad--just okay.

Initially I thought the book was going to be about some creepy middle aged man who blackmailed a teen into doing whatever he wants. It never occurred to me how heavy it would all be. I'm talking disturbing heavy. I won't say what because it will ruin what the entire book is about but it's bothersome, it will definitely make some people uncomfortable. I will admit though it's dealt with well by the author, she tones it down enough for readers to read and enjoy the story but she doesn't take away from the severity of the subject matter.

The characters are young, like early teen young, which made some parts of the book hard to swallow. What the author was trying to do here she sort of accomplished but I still can't say wow. I didn't find myself flipping through the pages anticipating the down fall of the bad guys. Even though they deserved whatever they would get.

This is a good novel for teens to share and learn from but I'm not particularly impressed. It was a decent read but it's not one I'll think about for long.

3 comments:

  1. Amazing review! Cant wait to check out this read! This will be added to my to read list right now. Thanks for sharing =)

    Benish | Feminist Reflections
    A Thousand Pieces of You Hardcover Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, you're on a roll with all the heavy books aren't you? :)
    Kinda sucks that you didn't like this one though, I guess they're all hit or miss.
    The envelope and the note make me really curious, I want to know where this goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually don't like heavy issue type books so I'm not going to read this one. But thanks for the honest review! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete