Monday, November 10, 2014

5 Tips for Book Bloggers to Get/Stay out of a Reading/Book Blogging Funk



I've been visiting my usual blogs and then some--and I've noticed that a lot of bloggers have either stopped reviewing for weeks and months on end or they've written a post stating they're in a slump and will be back when they feel more up to reading and reviewing.

Blogging is fun, at least for the most part, and mostly in the beginning. I think we all get to a point where we feel like blogging has either: A) Taking over our lives or B) Became an unwanted job. This is not to say that reading for a living wouldn't be amazing, because I honestly believe it would. BUT, when you're reading and reviewing with a schedule or pending deadline in mind--it's easy for it all to seem like a burden.

So, I've come up with five ways I think will help, well it helped me, so that I can go forth, and book blog.

1. Stop accepting book review requests.
I, for one have learned this lesson the hard way. ARCS, whether they be in eBook format or physical are shiny tempting, pages of promised bliss or heartache. I have been tempted far too many times and am left with a pile of TBR's so high that I couldn't see over them even standing on the shoulders of two basketball players. If you are feeling overwhelmed, or underwhelmed put a hold on your request intake. Trust me it will make all the difference. You will be free to read the one's you need to read and you won't feel like someone's standing over your shoulders, waiting for their turn.

2. Read a book you've been wanting to read.
This has helped me come back to my love a reading many a time. I can have 100 book review requests and if it's getting me down. I'll grab/borrow a book I've been excited about reading and just enjoy it at my leisure. It just makes me happy and it reminds me why I love to read in the first place.

3. Remember why you started blogging in the first place
We all want to be blog-famous. Even you, yeah you, the one who is so outright denying they ever at any point wanted to be a go-to web famous book blog. But, I know, at least for the most part--we (you) started book blogging because we (you) love books. We (you) have a passion for books, and authors alike that we (you) wanted to share with the world. Because, books... Remember that when you're feeling just overwhelmed it will help give you purpose.

4. Take a break
This is obvious and self explanatory--sometimes even of the above suggested does not work. You take yourself a break, do a crossword, knit a sweater, whatever makes you happy. Do. Then come back when you're reading. You'll be refreshed and ready to proceed.

5. Buddy Read/Read-a-long
This is a fun way to read. I've done this twice. It is fun to read with another person. You have someone to fangirl and rant with. You have some place to vent and share. It helps pass time and you're likely to forget what you're supposed to be doing especially if the book is really good.

OH, and another thing. DNF. If reading a certain review book feels like Chinese water torture, just DNF, and explain why you've DNF'd to the author and move on. There is no reason to torture yourself and honestly life is too short to waste it reading a book you hate!

18 comments:

  1. fab post with handy tips!

    www.afternoonbookery.com xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy moly this is some good advice! And that last one, I think I'll be using it soon. Some are just not worth your time, especially when there are others that are so much better!
    One thing I've been able to do it to have a sort of request system. For every two books I read, i can request another one. It works for me, when I remember to use it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's really easy to get carried away. Your idea is smart, now if I can only figure out how to apply it to my own blogging life...

      Delete
  3. Yeah I definitely agree with these tips, the key is to not let it become a chore when you started because you enjoyed it. I'm not even doing requests for the moment because im just trying to build content on my blog before I branch out more

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am just getting out (kinda) of my funk. Reading challenges really help me the most. Great post!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those do tend to give you something to achieve. I've only done one reading challenge but I can see how they would be helpful./Thanks!

      Delete
  5. Great post! I completely agree with the ARCs! I've been putting myself on a ban/limit for NetGalley and Edelweiss so that I can focus on reading the books I already own and ones I'm more interested in. Another one that I think would be key is for bloggers not to sign up to so many blog tours, this is an issue I'm currently experiencing. I'm signing up for books I really want to read but it's way too much where it leaves me no time to review other books.

    Again, great post!

    Patty @ Bookish Wanderlove

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Picking up too many books to review is a problem. That means tours, review sites, etc. I've had that problem and I'm still trying to catch up!/Thanks!

      Delete
  6. This post is honestly one that I have been needing, for I have just come out of a reading slump. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It took me a while to get the DNF one! but it is seriously a must. Great post.

    Emily @ Follow the Yellow Book Road

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still working on the whole DNF thing but it works, and it makes sense!/Thanks! :)

      Delete
  8. Oh the book blogging slump! Hate seeing blogging like work instead of a fun hobby. I should just read all the books I want and then when I feel all jittery and excited to talk about the books, it's time to come back to the blog like if it were the first time. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some great tips! I definitely read what I want for the most part. I really try just to request books I'm planning on reading anyway, which helps. And yes, people should remember that this is supposed to be fun, so if it's not, taking a break should help. Great post! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is some excellent advice. Reading slumps are so disheartening sometimes and difficult to get out of, DNF is one of the ones I always have trouble with, but I'm trying!

    ReplyDelete