Wednesday, October 1, 2014

You by Caroline Kepnes--An Adult Book Review

Love hurts...

When aspiring writer Guinevere Beck strides into the East Village bookstore where Joe works, he’s instantly smitten. Beck is everything Joe has ever wanted: She’s gorgeous, tough, razor-smart, and as sexy as his wildest dreams.

Beck doesn’t know it yet, but she’s perfect for him, and soon she can’t resist her feelings for a guy who seems custom made for her. But there’s more to Joe than Beck realizes, and much more to Beck than her oh-so-perfect façade. Their mutual obsession quickly spirals into a whirlwind of deadly consequences . . .

A chilling account of unrelenting passion, Caroline Kepnes’s You is a perversely romantic thriller that’s more dangerously clever than any you’ve read before.

What. In. The. Actual...

Okay so, first off thanks to Atria Books and Klout for an advanced copy of this book! 

This book is unrelentingly creepy, and I couldn't take my eyes away from it--even though I spent a majority of the time looking at it like this...
It was disgusting and disturbing and so vividly detailed that I felt sucked into it in a way that had me questioning my own sanity.


I have to be crazy to like a book like this. I have to be. The main character, Joe, if that's even his real name--is stalking Guinevere Beck, MFA student and amateur writer.

He quickly became obsessed with Beck and his obsession had no limits. He did things that had me scratching my head countless times. His obsession was ceaseless and boundless. It was freaky in the way I felt drawn to his character.

It was luring and it felt like I was in Joe's shoes, following and understanding his obsession with Beck--who quite frankly wasn't too normal herself. You know the author's done her job when she make it so that you like someone with such a obviously disturbed mind.

It's hard to put into words what I felt but I will say that I enjoyed it and I don't know why--because this book is perverted and creepy, and sick. I'm not supposed to like it right?
But, I guess you can say the author did her job in that way.  

Would I recommend it? Yes. Will you love it? You might. You might not.
Am I confused about everything I'm saying? Yes.

The writing is twisted and distinctly vivid. The author is a genius with a sick, and twisted imagination and well, I'll be thinking about this book for a while, a long while.

Not recommended for young readers--Contains vulgar language and adult situations.




2 comments:

  1. When I read the first few lines of the blurb, I was like "Oooh, I wanna read this!" and then I continued on and I was like "This is going to totally freak me out...but I still wanna read it". It definitely sounds like a really interesting novel. Definitely like something that would mess with your mind! I don't know if I'll pick it up or not but I' definitely interested!

    Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ashtyn! It's creepy but for whatever reason it should've freaked me out completely and it did but I couldn't stop reading it.

      Delete