Monday, October 27, 2014

Random by Tom Leveen Book Review

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18629767-random
Who's the real victim here? This tense and gripping exploration of cyberbullying and teen suicide is perfect for fans of Before I Fall and Thirteen Reasons Why.

Late at night Tori receives a random phone call. It's a wrong number. But the caller seems to want to talk, so she stays on the line.

He asks for a single thing—one reason not to kill himself.

The request plunges her into confusion. Because if this random caller actually does what he plans, he'll be the second person connected to Tori to take his own life. And the first just might land her in jail. After her Facebook page became Exhibit A in a tragic national news story about cyberbullying, Tori can't help but suspect the caller is a fraud. But what if he’s not? Her words alone may hold the power of life or death.

With the clock ticking, Tori has little time to save a stranger—and maybe redeem herself—leading to a startling conclusion that changes everything…
 A novel better made for thinking, rather than enjoying--Random is a novel that I'll think about for a while in a way I hadn't anticipated. This novel, is sitting with me--it's taken refuge in my brain.

Tori has a lot going on in her life, more than most teens her age and then she gets this random phone call, it's a boy, and he's going to kill himself--well unless she gives him a reason not to.

What works for this book is it's unassuming genius at making the reader think without notice. I read through page after page and still did not expect what was written. I hadn't anticipated the twist. I was left feeling like I missed some vital detail but not because the author made some mistake in writing--it's just that I didn't get it, I didn't expect it.

I was expecting to read this book and quickly move onto the next, but the author had a mission and he accomplished it. I want to pass this book onto all the young people I know, and don't know, so that they will think twice before making rush decisions. I want them to see that every action has a consequence, and sometimes those consequences don't only affect themselves, but those around them--equally.

I believe that there is a worthy life lesson in between the pages of this book. It wasn't life changing but it had something worthy in it. It's worth reading for that if nothing else. Just don't expect any heart beating romance, or thrilling big reveals, although you will be surprised to see how it ends. Read it absorb it's meaning and pass it on.

11 comments:

  1. Wow this sounds exactly like what I need right now, something to think about. I'm currently reading a book that is very much different form the usual thing I read and am loving it, I think this will be perfect to continue the streak :)
    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oohh.. I love thought-provoking books.. and books that involves life lessons.. I am so glad you loved this... I guess I should grab this the next time I drop by the bookstore (because every time I see it, I tell myself: I'll buy this next time..). Great review! :D

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm intrigued! I need to read this book. I don't mind at all that it's not focused on romance, I just want to find out what happens inside. The cover is so cool! <3 Glad you enjoyed it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really good! The cover had me interested but your review fascinated me :D

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  5. this sounds like something i'll really like! great review, i can't wait to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I usually don't like the really heavy issue books, but I do appreciate them and read them occasionally. It does seem like those really stick with you but at the same time I don't LOVE them because they're just not fun. Almost too realistic. ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get it. Sometimes they get hard to read especially when all you (I) want to do is read something fun!

      Delete