Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Perfectionists by Sara Shepard Book Review

From the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling series Pretty Little Liars comes a thrilling new novel about five perfect girls who are framed for a murder they didn’t commit.

In Beacon Heights, Washington, five girls—Ava, Caitlin, Mackenzie, Julie, and Parker—know that you don’t have to be good to be perfect. At first the girls think they have nothing in common, until they realize that they all hate Nolan Hotchkiss, who’s done terrible things to each of them. They come up with the perfect way to kill him—a hypothetical murder, of course. It’s just a joke...until Nolan turns up dead, in exactly the way they planned. Only, they didn’t do it. And unless they find the real killer, their perfect lives will come crashing down around them.

From Sara Shepard, author of the #1 New York Times bestselling Pretty Little Liars series, comes another story of dark secrets, shocking twists, and what happens when five beautiful girls will do anything to hide the ugly truth.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20549288-the-perfectionists?ac=1

A Special Thanks to Harper Teen and Edelweiss for this review copy!

I don't like to compare novels but it's hard not to compare this novel to it's predecessor, Pretty Little Liars. Sara has unknowingly pinned herself as the queen of YA mystery, every book after it has somehow managed to blurb her novel as a comparative book, so it's likely that this book would be compared to the series.

With that being said, here we go, The Perfectionists is a shiny new version of Pretty Little Liars. It has the same format, pretty girls, mysterious murderer/stalker, and a nerve wracking amount of open-ended, unanswered questions. Yes, ladies and gentleman, you will get no resolution to the mystery whatsoever. It is true to it's Shepard fashion.

Like Pretty Little Liars, the novel centers around a group of girls with a ton of secrets, and twisty mysterious pasts. Unlike Pretty Little Liars although, these girls lives seem a little bit more dark, a little bit more dramatic--at least for some of the girls.

There is high school drama, but I never found it too angst-y, or childish like it could have possibly been. I did find myself following along and feeling that edge of your seat nervousness but, I should have known that I would not get the answers I was seeking. Be forewarned, there is a mother of a cliffhanger,  meaning there are no tied ends. Those suckers are loose and flailing and probably will do so until the series is complete. My only hope is that I (we) don't have to weed through 20 or so novels before the mystery is solved.

The romance, because of course there is some, was a tricky, tricky thing. The relationships I thought were solid and true turned out to be a lie. The mushy moments turned brutal and the characters were flailing through life, school, and love. I think I liked this about the book the most. You never knew who you could trust. And, even when you thought you knew, you were wrong.

That being said, I really enjoyed the novel. It did keep me intrigued and I do have a strong desire to continue the series. I'm definitely interested in finding out what happens next.

My only comment is this if you are a strong and devoted fan/follower of Pretty Little Liars--you'll more likely than not love this novel. If you were so-so about it and completely up in arms about the number of books in that series, or the unrelenting unanswered questions--this book might tick you off in it's likeness, or it's potential to make you feel the same way you did reading, PLL. I suggest you be prepared for the similarities and enjoy it's differences.

I've only read two and a half of the Pretty Little Liars novels, I started with the show--but I think I might like this one more.

Enjoy, darlings.


4 comments:

  1. Great review - I agree wholeheartedly. I've actually been a devout follower of the the PLL series and reading the books since they were first released. I really enjoyed the Perfectionists despite the striking similarities. Shepard has a way of writing that keeps you on the edge of your seat regardless; I don't mind that the books are set up the same. I agree on the relationship part! I thought for sure that some of the couples seemed rock solid; lots of crazy stuff happened to mess that up haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I NEED ANSWERS! LOL.

      Yeah, I didn't mind the similarities either, especially because it worked out so well. I'm so glad you liked it too!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you liked this one.. I've been thinking about reading this ever since I saw it (and I've never read or watched The Pretty Little Liars). and thanks for the heads up on the 'no tied ends.' I have mixed feelings on epic cliffhangers but this just sounds so good I'm definitely grabbing it once I see it. Great review! :)

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete