Sunday, October 26, 2014

Dead Girl Walking (Royal Reaper Book, # 1) by Ruth Silver


Forget everything you know about grim reapers. Princess Ophelia Dacre sneaks out of the castle to visit her boyfriend in secret. A perfect night cut short when she's brutally murdered. Ophelia is given the rare chance to become a grim reaper. She must become Leila Bele, cut ties with her old life, and follow the rules of the reapers. Her greatest adventure begins with death. 

 So, here's the thing, the book has a decent concept and a intriguing plot but I had a hard time grasping most of it. It all felt so disjointed. None of the ideas seemed to connect. It all seemed to be happening quickly, one big thing after the next--it didn't give enough time for any of the ideas to develop.

There were a lot of ideas that worked, could have worked, but because of how it was written the reader doesn't get to enjoy, or appreciate any of what happens. It's a shame too because I actually liked the characters for the most part. I just didn't understand them. I wasn't given enough time to do so.

This book could have benefited from more pages. I think if the author would have slowed the pace just a tad, and added more pages, the book could have been substantially better because it would have allowed for events and relationships to develop at a more natural pace. 

My hope is, because this is only the first book in the series, the author will do more with the characters and with the plot in the forthcoming novels.

2 comments:

  1. Great review, I agree that the synopsis sounds intriguing so I'm interested in reading this book :)

    http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/creatures-of-night-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm…I'll probably pass on this one. Yes, the synopsis is intriguing and has piqued by interest, but with the way you describe the writing I'm sure that will keep me from liking it. Great review! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete